Annually, on the 256 day of the year, developers worldwide celebrate “Programmer Day“! This was a surprise to me but I was ready to join the festivities when I got the invitation to present at an event organized by one of our customers, Caixa Seguros. With a group of over 300 developers this company’s IT management decided to celebrate this special day with an event dedicated to Development Practices, Innovations and Challenges.
My presentation was focused on how the Agile Platform’s latest version lets you build custom web applications faster than imaginable – what I like to call ‘Warp’ development. To show how fast you can have a full fledge application running using the Agile Platform, I actually built a complete app in 45 minutes… before a live audience!
The application included a bit of everything. Here are some of the things I did during the presentation:
- Created a new app from scratch
- Built the initial data model from an Excel file along with all the needed logic to transfer the Excel data into my new application’s database
- Created the necessary UI to list and edit the contents of my new database. All Ajax enabled, of course
- Customized the look of the app (well, just a bit, because my design skills aren’t that great!)
- Integrated my new application with an external database and created the needed UI to list and edit one of its tables. Form validation included.
- Added functionality to an external database table! This was a products table, and I added a product image… without changing the original database!
- Related my applications ‘local’ DB with the external database and created a master detail view, including pop-us to edit the data.
- Obtained data from an existing Web Service and showed it in my new app
- Then, I realized the Web Service was a bit slow, so I checked that this was in fact a problem and added a cache to fix the problem.
I actually did a few more things, but you get the point.
In the end, I was really happy with the way the audience responded to the presentation. They seemed really impressed with both the development speed and the quality and robustness of the application that was built right in front of their eyes.
And you know what’s the best part? You too can do all this in 45 minutes or less! Try it out! Download the community edition and check the first tutorials. In no time you’ll be building your own apps at ‘Warp’ speed!
How about you? Were you aware of the Programmer Day? How did you spend your Programmer Day?