On September 19, 2017, at NextStep Lisbon, we revealed our new OutSystems Community Mascot and shared the story of how it came to be. All that was missing was a name. So, after starting from sketches on a table to a trip to the CEO’s office, our astronaut traveled to you for an identity.
The Mascot Name: Categories and Awards
The response was out of this world: nearly 1000 people shared their ideas. We knew we’d get some great responses and we did. In fact, we got so many that we had to come up with a good way to give credit where credit was due. So, we created 5 categories for our runners up and chose the award-winner for each one:
- McFly: The winner of the Community Naming Contest Award was submitted by OutSystems MVP Nuno Reis and is based on Marty McFly of the Back to the Future movies, who bent the time-space continuum in a DeLorean—what better way to signify the speed of developing with OutSystems?
- Orion: The winner of the MVP Choice Award is the famous constellation, and it was (almost) unanimous. Why? Because, as Joost Landgraf and Carlos Alfaro explained, with OutSystems you can break the development barriers and reach for the stars. Plus, in the words of Martijn Habraken, it’s an awesome name.
- Neil OutStrong: The winner of the Most Creative Name Award was suggested by eight different people. “That's one small step for man, one giant leap for low-code.”
- E.Space: The winner of the Most Unique Name Award, was submitted by Tiago Simoes. For those who might not know, eSpace was the original name of what is now called a module, and we know a few developers that still miss it.
- 1CP: The winner of the OutSystems Employee Choice Award is an abbreviation of 1-Click Publish. It allows you to deploy an application in 1-Click! Yes, you read that right. What’s next? A 1-Click Publish to Mars?
The Buildup is Real: Time to Reveal the Name Winner
Before I reveal the name, I’m going to give everyone a hint. So, you might have heard this: “you take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.”
In the Matrix, seeing "how deep the rabbit hole does," means going outside your comfort zone to craft a new reality. Our developers not only want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes, but they also inspire us to look beyond our comfort zone. So, it’s really comes as no surprise when Neo was suggested as the name of our mascot… we all knew it was right. Neo chose the red pill, the one that showed the way to truth.
And, now our OutSystems Community Mascot is reborn! A big thank you to the all the developers, MVPs, customers and partners for their name submissions and help with our final selection.
Now, it’s your turn. Go forth, and exceed all limitations.
Our Community Mascot is officially ready for take off! In 3...2...1...Launch!