OutSystems is extensible with a platform, environment, tools and features that enable customers to:
- Extend the back-end: If the visual language used in the visual editor is not expressive enough, additional components may be written using custom code. In addition, developers can search Forge for existing components to speed up development.
- Integrate with existing systems: In the visual editor, it's possible to integrate with SAP systems, and consume REST APIs and SOAP web services. If there is functionality that is not supported, there are hooks available to extend the integration with custom code.
- Integrate with your databases: OutSystems is designed to be independent of the database you use. That's why we support the most common enterprise-grade database systems. However, our database SDK can also be used to extend OutSystems for integration with databases we do not support.
- Integrate with your authentication provider: OutSystems has built-in authentication management for your application and IT users. In addition, support for Active Directory and LDAP integration is included. If there is an authentication system that is not included with OutSystems, our APIs can be used to extend OutSystems to support it. It's also possible that there's already a Forge component built by the community, to integrate with the authentication provider of your choice.
- Customize the management consoles: If our management consoles don't include what our customers need, they can extend them using our SDK. These consoles are built with OutSystems, so no one needs to learn another technology to extend them.
- Integrate with your IT processes: OutSystems includes APIs to integrate the deployment of OutSystems applications with your existing DevOps tools and processes.