What do Gartner and Forrester say about OutSystems?
Table of contents
Forrester and Gartner have a lot to say about OutSystems.
What does Forrester say?
In the Forrester Wave™: Low-Code Development Platforms For AD&D Pros, Q1 2019, Forrester says: “OutSystems sets the pace in feature breadth. Two characteristics stand out for OutSystems as a low-code vendor: its relentless addition of features for AD&D pros and its consistent delivery on road-map and strategy objectives. The vendor has delivered on its past goals, including native mobile apps, scale and reliability to tackle core transactional business apps, and global presence. OutSystems keeps pushing the boundaries of low-code platforms — into apps that process device readings and other streaming data, into AI, and into core business record-keeping systems.”
Forrester lists the crucial differentiators of low-code platforms and their value as:
- Visual configuration of virtual data models and integration: Reduces time to value and enables the embedding of data elements into forms, workflows, and business logic
- Visual configuration of business logic: Lifts logic from code, reduces time, and simplifies change
- Responsive user interface and native app design: Provides engaging user interfaces that excite customers
- Management and monitoring for application development and delivery process: Streamlines and speed development and increases developer productivity
Forrester identified OutSystems as the leader because we offer a complete, enterprise-proven platform that lives up to the low-code promise with:
- Speed of delivery, even for complex applications
- A strong commitment to rapid, low-code tooling for all aspects of application development, delivery, and maintenance
- The most comprehensive and advanced platform for application management and administration
- A development environment that enables organizations to use existing resources or non-traditional development talent
Forrester gave OutSystem the highest score in 17 of the 23 product capabilities; as a result, OutSystems tops all competitors in product functionality.
In addition, Forrester has identified OutSystems as a leader in a Forrester Wave™ report focused on mobile-specific low-code. According to Forrester, “Mobile low-code development platforms are an offshoot of the broader category of low-code platforms designed to support the particular needs of mobile apps.” They then say: “These products go beyond general-purpose low-code development platforms by including features closely associated with mobile infrastructure services platforms or mobile middleware products, including support for mobile notifications, enterprise mobile management tools, and support for offline caching and filtering of data when devices aren’t connected.”
Forrester named OutSystems as a Leader, making the following points:
- OutSystems strong performance “reflects its commitment to enterprise customers via extensive low-code tooling for semi-professional and professional developers.”
- OutSystems strengths include its “broad features and tools for database, integration, and collaboration, coupled with an extensive set of mobile features.”
- OutSystems customer references “like the easy maintainability of the apps they’ve created,” and “the ability to use a wider range of developer skillsets to build mobile apps.”
What does Gartner say?
Gartner has named OutSystems a Leader in two Magic Quadrants: the 2019 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Multiexperience Development Platforms (MXDP) and the 2019 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Low-Code Application Platforms (LCAP).
MXDPs serve to centralize life cycle activities — designing, developing, testing, distributing, managing and analyzing — for a portfolio of multiexperience apps. Multiexperience refers to the various permutations of modalities (e.g. touch, voice, and gesture), devices, and apps that users interact with on their digital journey across various touchpoints.
Multiexperience development involves creating fit-for-purpose apps based on touchpoint-specific modalities, while at the same time ensuring a consistent user experience across web, mobile, wearables, conversational, and immersive touchpoints.
Gartner recognizes that beyond traditional “mobile only” features, the new breed of mobile application development platforms must support the following:
- App diversity including responsive web apps, wearables, and augmented reality
- Full-stack, fast development, supporting everything from UX to back-end integration
- End-to-end DevOps and life-cycle management of large app portfolios
- Diverse enterprise use cases, including external-facing and internal-facing scenarios
LCAP is the first MQ from Gartner to embrace the “low-code” term. This MQ combines low-code application platforms, entreprise low-code application platforms, and also “no-code” application platform, into a single MQ.
Enterprise low-code application platforms offer compelling productivity gains for professional and citizen development, as well as speed-of-delivery benefits.
LCAP is defined by Gartner as platforms that allow for high productivity development using declarative, high-level programming abstractions, such as model-driven and metadata-based programming languages. They support the development of user interfaces, business logic, and data services.
Entreprise LCAP extends this definition further, with a focus on platforms that deliver high performance and highly scalable architecture for mission-critical applications.
No-code is also included in this MQ, but is defined as a marketing and positioning statement of some platforms to deliver small applications. These no-code platforms require only text and simple formulas, with all other aspects of application development being enabled by visual modeling or configuration.
Entreprise Low-Code Application Platforms:
- Streamline the software development lifecycle with LCAP and DevOps
- Expand developer resources with citizen developers
- Support mobile and multichannel initiatives
- Enable and accelerate API-based architecture (SaaS and legacy modernization)
- Deliver on the promise of enterprise-grade with on-premises, hybrid or cloud-based deployment options
What does this mean, exactly?
Gartner and Forrester both recognize that, with our flexible, low-code platform, organizations can create mobile, web, SMS, email, chat and voice service touchpoints quickly, and change them on the fly. The OutSystems platform continues to respond to changes in the market giving our customers the assurance that their investment in technologies and talent will continue to deliver value to their organization.
With OutSystems, organizations can take advantage of new ways of connecting with customers, employees, and partners as part of their digital transformation. We make it easy to transparently integrate these apps with existing systems and data sources, and enable a broader number of people to build useful applications. But most importantly, all of this is done methodically, with governance, that fits within the operational and security guidelines of IT organizations.
The maturity of low-code platforms, and their scaling to the enterprise, offers compelling productivity gains for professional and citizen developers with all the additional benefits of scalability, governance, and security, resulting in broad adoption.
Whether you have a single mobile application or a mission-critical application, OutSystems is ready to help you build and deliver it quickly and then change it even faster.