3.2 List Records from the Database

3.2 List Records from the Database

  
Hi!! I'm having trouble reading the contact xls file provided in this tutorial. By default, within the Studio platform there is another file called contact (used for the initial demo).
I am  saving the file provided for this tutotial outside the Studio folders, and when performing "Update Action to Bootstrap data from Excel" I using this xls file.
Although in the Main Content screen (working area) I do see "Peter Man" which corresponds to the file provided in this tutorial, when running the program the names that are displyed are the ones provided in the contact list used for the initial demo. 
Thanks!

Hi,

Are you creating a new application, or have you continued developing the application done in the initial demo?

To follow this lesson you should create a new application. Since Service Studio does no let you have two applications with the same name, when creating a new application for this tutorial, just give it a different name instead of 'Contacts'.

Another thing you should know, is that performing the "Update Action to Bootstrap data from Excel", will only update the logic to load the data from the Excel, but will not update the data in the database.
If you want to understand why this happens, check the video Get Even Better Usability with Real Data.
Hi! Working now! thanks!


Hi ,

Iam facing trouble in adding Entity to table records.Instead of two columns and two rows it is showing 1 row 1 column only.And in interface for Contact_list add preparation is disabled.

Kindly tell me the solution.
Thanks!!!
Hi sampath,

Did you follow the instructions on video 3.1? I suspect that you are using the London theme instead of the Chicago theme as seen on the video.
The reason why this happens is because London is a responsive theme, i.e., based on the size of the viewport the layout of the application will adapt accordingly. You can learn how this works on video 13.7.
Sampath,

Notice that at 5:30 the instructor drags the Contact entity to the TableRecords. If you drag one of the attributes (Id, Name, BirthDate), only that attribute is displayed.

Regarding the Preparation, the only reason I see for the option to be disabled, is that you already have a Preparation on that screen. Each screen can only have one Preparation action.

I hope this can help you.
Hi

Thanks for response.

Preparation issue has been resolved.

I am adding contact entity to the table records.But still it is showing Name only.I think i am using basic version .Kindly suggest me Recent version to develop web application easily.
sampath kumar meda wrote:
Hi

Thanks for response.

Preparation issue has been resolved.

I am adding contact entity to the table records.But still it is showing Name only.I think i am using basic version .Kindly suggest me Recent version to develop web application easily.
 Can you provide a screenshot?
 
Hi ,

Problem has been resolved.Screen resolution issue.It has been slved now.Thanks for support
I followed the tutorial a couple of times, but when opening the webpage after compiling, it kept showing 'No items to show' instead of the expected contact records. I'm not sure if having done the initial 5 minute intro tutorial complicated matters, but to fix this I had to go under the Data pane, Resource Folder, Contacts.xlsx and set Deploy Action from 'Do Nothing' to 'Deploy to Target Directory'.

Cheers
Hi Marco,

That change actually has no relation to what you were experiencing. There's a video ahead that explains in more detail the data bootstrap process. This is an asynchronous process that occurs when you publish your application. What most probably happened in your case was that when you accessed the application in the browser that asyncrhonous process hadn't started already and so you didn't have any data in the database to show on the list page. If you waited a couple of seconds and refreshed the page you would probably see the data from the excel file.

Cheers
Hi there,

I was running the tutorial and decided to load an excel of my own, with slightly diferent field names. I couldn't load it. That got me thinking. Is there any way to manually map the field or the only way is to have the columns match the names of the attributes?

Regards,
Miguel Neves
Hi Miguel,

There's no way. You need to open the excel and edit the columns to match the attributes' names.
Hi,
After watching all videos from "Your first web application" and implementing it practically i found it so amazing and easy and of course it is well explained. It amazed me how the Entity attributes automatically pick the data type. But my question is there any naming convention which we have to follow ,because I observed that if “Date” word is there in attributes it will select “date” data type and same applies for “Is” keyword it will select Boolean data type , so is there any list available about keywords for attributes which will guide me through this.
Hi Rajgaurav, nice question.

Unfortunatelly there is no such list of keywords. Since we are always improving the platform, such list would easily go outdated.
You can find here a list of best practices, but in the videos we always use the correct naming conventions, so if you follow the videos, you are already using the correct naming conventions.
Hi Joao,
Thanks for the Link.
I do not have the aggregate function on my toolbar.  Any ideas why this would be?
Marc Riv wrote:
I do not have the aggregate function on my toolbar.  Any ideas why this would be?
 Hi Marc,

We are currently updating our Online Training and you got caught up in the process :(
We are deeply sorry for this.
In our Online Training Modules 3 through 8 are new, but you can continue to follow the training for OutSystems Platform 8 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs1dFx020a0&list=PLxALhSwsaivwLr5zY-XJaB23QYvP4jow2

Sorry for the inconvenience.
 
Thx for the reply.  I am noticing that 3.2 on your website is not the same ast the 3.2 link contained here.   This is confusing to see different options than the version I am using.  Which version of the application (v8 or v9) should I use?
Yes Marc,

I totally understand that this is confusing :( 
In our Online Training in our website we portrait the latest release of the OutSystems Platform, OutSystems Platform 9. If you already started your training before you surely have a personal environment with OutSystems Platform 8. Until this environment is migrated to the new release you should follow the videos on the YouTube playlist and you should use the development environment of OutSystems Platform 8.
Alternatively you can request a new personal environment by registering with a different user. In this case you'll be on the bleeding edge using OutSystems Platform 9.

Please let me know if you are able to proceed or if you continue stuck.
Andre:

I just started, so I have a v8 and v9 environment.  In terms of 9, when I launch it, is prompts me to connect to environement and cannot seem to get by that step.

Are the versions signifantly different, or should I just continue my orientation with v8?  With v8, it seemed to connect to a PE when I logged on.  Do I require a different PE for v9?  Can I run v9 locally without connecting to external servers?

Thanks,
The versions are significantly different.
Until your personal environment is upgraded to OutSystems Platform 9 you can't connect to it using the development environment of OutSystems Platform 9.

If you just started than I'd say it would be best if you register for a new personal environment using a different email.

If you had started in a while then it is probably best that you finish your orientation with 8 and then either wait for the upgrade or move to request a new personal and evaluate 9.

The OutSystems Platform can also be installed on premises but that's not the free personal edition and you would need a license for that instalation.

Thx.  That helps.

Hello,

On the table widget I choose the preperation list but it stays red. What do I have done wrong ?
Hi Roelof,

Can you share your module or a screenshot so that I can see what the error is? You can export the module using Ctrl+S.

Cheers
André Vieira wrote:
Hi Roelof,

Can you share your module or a screenshot so that I can see what the error is? You can export the module using Ctrl+S.

Cheers
 Here you are. I can also make a screenshot if it's needed
 

Ok.
The issue you have is that the aggregate in the preparation is not connected in the flow, i.e. it is not a element between Start and End nodes. Just drag the aggregate on top of the line connecting Start and End and you will see that you will get a connector between Start and GetContacts and another between GetContacts and End nodes. When you fix this you will see that you can now set the Source Record List property of the TableRecords.

I hope this helps.
Thanks, and I have found out that I have to double-click to select that.

Roelof

André Vieira wrote:
Ok.
The issue you have is that the aggregate in the preparation is not connected in the flow, i.e. it is not a element between Start and End nodes. Just drag the aggregate on top of the line connecting Start and End and you will see that you will get a connector between Start and GetContacts and another between GetContacts and End nodes. When you fix this you will see that you can now set the Source Record List property of the TableRecords.

I hope this 
 
ok so i have Service Studio 9.0.0.7 windows 8.1

can not click Anoynmous in any window I try, Can not navigate between Interface and Data unless I click view on the top, so far found very jumpy and hard to follow the example videos when Not able to click and follow the videos...

cant even change the name of the Home page now or anything finding it very hard to correctly click anything any ideas what the problem might be???

all other applications work just fine on Windows 8.1 no problems to report on any other applications just service studio 

Hi conor,

I'm sorry you facing such problems :(
Are you using a touch device? When you say click do you mean a mouse click or actually a touch on the screen? Unfortunately OutSystems Platform development environment doesn't support touch interaction. I'm not sure but I think that if you use a mouse you will be ok...
André Vieira wrote:
Hi conor,

I'm sorry you facing such problems :(
Are you using a touch device? When you say click do you mean a mouse click or actually a touch on the screen? Unfortunately OutSystems Platform development environment doesn't support touch interaction. I'm not sure but I think that if you use a mouse you will be ok...
 Hi André,

I Am not using a touchscreen just a normal Laptop with a mouse, so far im finding the Service Studio very touch and go took nearly an hour to get to bootstrap the excel file as it wouldnt right click and give the correct menu, I still cant select anonymous no mater where i try to click the check box, is there an alternative way to select?? if i single left click anywhere inside the check box nothing/ if i double click it just resizes Service Studio, if i right click i get a menu restore, min, max, close any help would be appreicated please & thanks
 
Hi Conor,

You're probably running on a screen resolution with HDpis (>100%):



You have to disable this setting in Service Studio shortcut to work properly:



The good news is that is the coming versions of Sevice Studio this problem will be gone.

João Neves wrote:
Hi Conor,

You're probably running on a screen resolution with HDpis (>100%):



You have to disable this setting in Service Studio shortcut to work properly:



The good news is that is the coming versions of Sevice Studio this problem will be gone.
 
 Thank you so much finally can start to use this correctly thanks 
 
Hi,

I've just downloaded service studio 9.0.0.38 and using windows 8, and failed in the first scenario.

I've added the aggregate and double clicked it, but i'm not able to add an entity (actually there is no 'Drag & Drop Entities or Attributes' image within the aggregate as in the video).

You can see the attached screenshots.

Baris
Hi Baris,

That is strange. First thing to do is to use the submeet feedback 'cause that is probably a bug or something.

Secondly to work around your issue you can drag the entity into the preparation flow, drop it on top of the connector from the start to end nodes.
Hi Andre,

I submitted the feedback, and additionally I'm not able to edit anything within the aggregate (can not change query, add filter, etc.)

I would appreciate someone let me know when it is fixed if it is a bug or what i need to do if it is a specific configuration thing.

Thanks,

Baris

André Vieira wrote:
Hi Baris,

That is strange. First thing to do is to use the submeet feedback 'cause that is probably a bug or something.

Secondly to work around your issue you can drag the entity into the preparation flow, drop it on top of the connector from the start to end nodes.
 
 
Baris Akkas wrote:
...
I would appreciate someone let me know when it is fixed if it is a bug or what i need to do if it is a specific configuration thing.
... 
 Have you tried this?
 Yes i'm running in %100 scaling level



André Vieira wrote:
Baris Akkas wrote:
...
I would appreciate someone let me know when it is fixed if it is a bug or what i need to do if it is a specific configuration thing.
... 
 Have you tried this?
 
 
Hi,
 
About the table record, Is there any way to achieve a multiple header rows?
 
i.e
E=Expression
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
           |               class 1                |    class2
 Date   |------------------------------------------------------------------
            | Q1        | Q2        | Q3      | Q1         | Q2      | Q3
---------- ------------------------------------------------------------------
E0       | E1         | E2         | E3       | E4         | E5       | E6
 
Like the above, I will need two header rows. Any idea about this?
Using the TableRecords, I don't think you can.
But you can use regular Containers or Tables to implement the header, and then use the ListRecords widget. 

The ListRecords is more flexible than the TableRecords, because it iterates a list but doesn't display then in a  tabular format. Instead, it allows you to show the records how you see fit.
Thanks, Joao.

I'll have a try.


Joao Fernandes wrote:
Using the TableRecords, I don't think you can.
But you can use regular Containers or Tables to implement the header, and then use the ListRecords widget. 

The ListRecords is more flexible than the TableRecords, because it iterates a list but doesn't display then in a  tabular format. Instead, it allows you to show the records how you see fit.
 
 
Am using service studio 8.0 . am not able to find aggregate function. 

which version should i use???

Thanks in advance...
Hi Giri,

Aggregates a feature of OutSystems Platform 9. If you want to follow the online training I suggest that you use a personal environment and install the development environment for OutSystems Platform 9.