External Databases/Server configuration

External Databases/Server configuration

Hi All,

I have to connect to an external SQL Express Database. My issue is connecting to different catalogs in the database depending on the server in which the application is executed.

The external SQL Express Database is the datasource for an Accounting system. You can create multiple Business Files (or Catalogs in SQL) to use for training, test etc.

We have 3 Servers configured in Lifetime - Dev, QA and Production.

We need to create the following connections:
- Dev Agile Server to connect to Dev SQL Catalog in External DB using Extension XYZ
- QA Agile Server to connect to QA SQL Catalog in External DB using Extension XYZ
- Production Agile Server to connect to Production SQL Catalog in External DB using Extension XYZ.

I have attached a diagram to give a more visual idea.

When you create an extension to reference external tables, those tables must reside in the database you define on the server. How do you dynamically change this depending on the Agile server?

Is it as simple as changing the database connection details?

Any suggestions on how to achieve this?

Thanks.

-Robbie

Hello Robbie

Nice Diagram!

"When you create an extension to reference external tables, those tables must reside in the database you define on the server."

When you want to connect to an external database, you need add a database connection settings under "Service Center" then configure the extension to connect to the database connection settings you've setup in Service Center. You will then be able to import the entities to create your extension.

When you publish your extension on a different server, you need to add the database connection settings, (when you publish the extension it will prompt you to configure the database connection settings).

Did you configure the database connection for all servers that reference your extension? Without configuring the database connection settings, your extension would not be able to connect to the external database. 
Hi Robert,

I have created the database connection on the dev server, and used integration studio to select the tables and so on. The external sql database connection works like a charm (i get better performance connecting to the external SQL database for data access when compared to the original application software package that "owns" the same database. Gotta love .NET API).

Does that mean I can use the same extension on the QA server, as long as the QA database is confugured in service centre>database connections??

-Robbie
Robbie Nati wrote:
Hi Robert,

I have created the database connection on the dev server, and used integration studio to select the tables and so on. The external sql database connection works like a charm (i get better performance connecting to the external SQL database for data access when compared to the original application software package that "owns" the same database. Gotta love .NET API).

Does that mean I can use the same extension on the QA server, as long as the QA database is confugured in service centre>database connections??

-Robbie
 Yes, you can use the same extension, just remember to configure the database connection!

When you publish your extension using integration studio, it should prompt you to configure your database connection. Well it should prompt you, but if it does not, you could simply login to Service Center and click on the database extension i've just published, then configure the extension to use your database connection settings, thats it! your set! 

"(i get better performance connecting to the external SQL database for data access when compared to the original application software package that "owns" the same database. Gotta love .NET API)."

Interesting! what was it using before? probably faster because of Agile Platform optimisation! :)
Their Windows application was written in C sharp. The initial screen render can take up to 10 secs do display a list of records. Night and Day when comparing the speeds off the 2 platforms. 
10 seconds is extremely slow!

Ok let me know if you've solved the issue or not.