Opening up our Usability Forum

Opening up our Usability Forum

Hi all,

With the launch of OutSystems Platform 8 it is now public that we're ALL IN on Usability! 

While the UX for IT page is the go-to place for Usability 101, this Usability forum will welcome community members' tips, thoughts and experiences in their path to build Great Apps.

The forum was already used internally by OutSystems staff during the past year so we're already starting with a lot of interesting resources ready to explore and learn with.

Enjoy!

Your Community Manager,
Davide Marquês
Can't wait to dig in all the past and future topics on this forum! 
Excellent initiative..
With the launch of OutSystems Platform 8 and all the current importance and all the trends related to Usability this  Forum makes more sense than ever.
Hope to see some posts from designers or someone closer to this area, like Natalia, for example, since we can learn a lot a switch some experiences and knowledge.
Well done once again, Davide :)

Cheers,
Gonçalo M.

why the split up?

I agree it's an hot topic, but most UX is also based on certain technology and how to do it?

It wasn't really a split since this forum already existed as an internal forum.
We decided to open it up as part of the UX for IT initiative since we believe the UX subject deserves its own discussion space. That's about it.

Hopefully this new space will receive contributions from people that would shy away from the other [more technical] forums.
Hello,

I've just notice that in the community forums main page would be nice to have something like a submenu on top with each forums topics.  It doesnt needs to be exactly a submenu but a kind of links. You could use anchors for each kind of forum.

In my opinion that would help users navigating faster on the forum and make it easy identify where to create a post (for example). When i open the screen i dont know what kinds of forums exist. Also in my opinion that screen is kinda "big".

I kinda miss a structure navigation there.

Cheers,
Luis Paulo Soares
Is it me, or are there a lot of posts here that don't belong here?

Maybe you have a umm... usability problem in the forums...

:)
Hi Carlos, it's not just you. :) The "Guides & How-Tos" is the best example: newcomers come and want to know "how to" do something so they *obviously* post on that forum.

Quick question: do you think that changing the "Technology & Integration" to "Q&A" or "Development Questions" would help on this?

Currently we give to much importance to the forum and less to the actual discussion so we end up having to peek inside each forum to see what's happening. I'm inclined to make the discussions into the main concept (like in Discourse). What do you think?
Changing Technology & Integration to Development Questions probably would help, since it would clearly show that that's where you go to ask questions.

On the other hand, seeing how people still manage to ask programming questions in the CodeProject's Lounge even with a big red sign saying not to do that, it's probably just a fact of life that some people will use the wrong forums for their questions.

That's probably why most forum systems have a way of moving threads to the correct forums or at least a way to flame those posters into oblivion.

Discourse seems like a good idea, at least it prevents posts in the wrong forums from going unnoticed. Not sure if it works well in busy sites, though...

Davide Marquês wrote:
Hi Carlos, it's not just you. :) The "Guides & How-Tos" is the best example: newcomers come and want to know "how to" do something so they *obviously* post on that forum.

Quick question: do you think that changing the "Technology & Integration" to "Q&A" or "Development Questions" would help on this?

Currently we give to much importance to the forum and less to the actual discussion so we end up having to peek inside each forum to see what's happening. I'm inclined to make the discussions into the main concept (like in Discourse). What do you think?