upgrading style guide UI

upgrading style guide UI

Hi everyone .i have an app developed on OS 5.1 version but i would like to do a visual upgrade .would it be possible to import the style sheet or and theme used in version 8.0 because we are not yet ready to upgrade the platform server to 8.0 v yet.any suggestions would be appreciated.thanks
Hi Tmlewin,

Since version 5.1 a lot have changed, namely on the structure of the pages (it used tables and now it uses containers) and probabily the css on the header and menus. Service Studio widgets (TableRecords, EditRecords, ShowRecords) have changed visually, but the structure is pretty much the same.

This being said I guess you could test it out and fix all the issues you find along the way. If you can share those here that would be awesome, as it can be useful for other users in the future, and you might get some help and ideas from other people as well.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões

@Tiago
Thanks i will begin to work on it by midweek hopefully(Have been really busy).But out of curiousity,is it not possible to develope my espace from the scratch and layout my elements using containers and customizing via css.I intend grouping my page structure like,header,footer ,body into multiple web blocks .

I have one key question before i commence with the experiment,how can i replicate the placeholders? can i use containers to hold elements instead?.Thanks.
Hi Tmlewin,

Yes, you can layout your elements with contaienrs. Regarding sizing and spacing you can even use the new Width and Margin Top, Margin Left properties directly, although of course you can do it in CSS if you prefer.

Regarding placeholders they work a bit like master pages in powepoint or asp.net. You define layouts and put these placeholders where youll put the content. I would advice you to create a simple example application in 8.0 and study it and after that proceed to try to upgrade your existing apps.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões

Hi Tmlewin,

Just understood your question a bit better now, you're still not in 8.0. Yes, placeholders will be rendered as divs, so you can emulate them with containers. Of course they work differently as they are a way to reuse the layout web blocks without having to replicate the structure everywhere.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
@Tiago

Thanks for your help,infact the bigest headache i have is the replication of structuresn because version 5.12 doesnt have the master page like feature .Well still trying to find a way of trying to avoid duplication of effort by extensive use of web blocks.Thanks once again for your insight.