Outsystems and .NET

Outsystems and .NET

Hi There !

I have a question since I am new here. Can we use your platform with .NET Entities Framework and somehow integrate using VS 2010 ?  What's the approach ?

Thanks.
Hi Oleg,

This feels like a 2-part question, so please allow me to break it apart:

Question 1. Can I integrate the platform with VS 2010?
Yes. Install Integration Studio, click the Edit/Options Menu, then select the .NET tab. Here you will set the path for the IDE (VS.NET). For me, the path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe. It will probably be the same for you unless you customized your install.
Then set your .NET compiler tool path, since you will run MSBuild.exe against the .NET 3.5 framework. For me, the path is C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\MSBuild.exe
Lastly, set the .NET Compiler Tool Options. I have this set: /nologo /verbosity:minimal /target:Rebuild /property:Configuration=Release

Then, just create an extension with the appropriate actions and structures, click the Edit Source Code (C#) button, and off you go writing code in .Net.

Question 2. Can I use the entity framework with the platform?
You can use the entity framework as part of an extension (provided you are using only .Net 3.5 dlls and not Entity Framework 4.1), but why would you want to? To be quite honest, the platform does a much better job of mapping database tables to consumable types than the entity framework does. I would consider relegating .Net to only the things the Platform does not do all that well (as an example RESTful services), or building a fence around existing dll's with extensions, and doing all your data access with the platform.

Hope that helps!
Isaac