Support for Oracle 11g R2 Standard Edition One database

Support for Oracle 11g R2 Standard Edition One database

As part of our goal to continuously help our customers optimize their IT costs, let me share with you the latest enhancement we added to the OutSystems Platform in the 8.0.0.5 revision patch: support for the Standard Edition One version of the Oracle 11g R2 database.

Standard Edition One (SE1) has a much lower price point (one third to half of the price of the regular Standard Edition) while letting you take advantage of all the OutSystems Platform capabilities, both to run the Platform on top of it, as well as to take advantage of Integration Studio’s wizard-based discovery and introspection of existing Oracle 11g R2 SE1 database tables, with out-of-the-box access optimizations and performance monitoring.

There are, however, limitations in database functionality/options with SE1, making it unsuitable for some enterprise-class deployments, such as mission-critical systems requiring high availability and/or disaster recovery and high-security requirements. Check Oracle’s Edition Comparison for detailed info.
Additionally, SE1 only allows single server setups with up to a maximum of 2 sockets. But, with the advancements in computer chip technology (multi-core, faster speeds, larger memory…), the restrictions of two sockets are less of an issue.

In situations where the above limitations are acceptable, SE1 might be an alternative to the Standard and Enterprise Editions, especially for Test and Development environments.

And you can always start small and grow your database as usage increases. SE1 provides complete upward compatibility with the Standard and Enterprise Editions, making upgrades seamless.

Thanks!
Hi Ricardo,

Can you let me know if we can apply SE One license on an existing Oracle SE. How to apply SE One license on an existing Oracle SE.

Thanks,

Abraham.M.R

Hi Abraham,

Yes, you can! Oracle SE versus SE1 is only a license dependency, the software is the same. SE can be installed on systems with a maximum of 4 CPU sockets and SE1 can be installed on systems with a maximum of 2 CPU sockets. In order to start using SE1 you only need to evaluate your system compliance with these limitations and own a valid license.

Nevertheless I'd recommend you to consult your sales rep to really be sure what is valid for your particular case!

Thanks,

Ricardo Neto
Hi Ricardo,

You've added added support for the Standard Edition One version of the Oracle 11g R2 database in the OutSystems Platform 8.0.0.5 revision patch. Can you tell me if previous versions of the platform (6.0 and 7.0)  also support SE1?

Regards,
Henrique Matos
Hi Henrique,

Oracle SE1 is only officially supported by OutSystems Platform 8.0.0.5 or above.

Thanks,

Ricardo Neto