What's the trick for working with web services?

What's the trick for working with web services?

Yes, I've watched the 2-minute video and read some forum posts :-)

When I pull in my web service I see the structure is created.  But when I drop the operation in the flow it does not expose the attributes.  It tells me the parameter has no description.

I've tried to create a var and link it to the structure by that doesn't work.

I've attached the WSDL.
Hi Brett,

It seems the arguments to the operations in this webservice are complex types, hence you see the structures created in Service Studio.
You need to create a local variable of type Record of structure you need, for instance, for the CopyProductConfig action you have a structure with the same name. Create the variable, fill it with the values you want and use this variable as the argument for the webservice method call.

Cheers,
André
Hi Brett,

Just for reference, if you want to import a WSDL file from the filesystem, simply use file:///<filesystem path to wsdl>, as explained on this post.

Your WSDL defines 3 methods, so for this example I'll use the 'CopyProductConfig'.
Once you import the WSDL, you can see in the Logic tab that the 'CopyProductConfig' action has a single parameter. 

By hovering the 'CopyProductConfig', you wil see that the variable that you pass into it, needs to have a 'CopyProductConfig' Record data type. So how do we do it?

1. Where you will be invoking the Web Service, simply create a new local variable, change its data type to 'CopyProductConfig Record';
  2. Before invoking the Web Service, use an Assign, to assign the values of that local variable;
  3. Use the local variable as the argument for the Web Service;
  4. Invoke the Web Service.

Hi Brett,

Something I missed.... parameter has no description

When you import the wsdl Service Studio will look into the wsdl:documentation tags to fill in the Original Description property you'll find in the webservice elements (webreference, parameters, methods, structures, ...)

The case here seems to be that TIBCO doesn't export this information, but you can fill in the description element by yourself and this property won't be erased if you refresh the webreference.

Cheers,
André