Advanced Query - Timeout Exception (SQL Server Encrypted DB)

Advanced Query - Timeout Exception (SQL Server Encrypted DB)

Good day everyone!

May I ask how could I deal with this situation?

I have an Advanced Query (a basic SELECT * FROM Table), in which I have executed to a SQL Server database. First problem is that, the query returns a Timeout Exception. When I checked the database table, it contains encrypted text.

How will I be able to deal with this situation?

Thanks in advance!

- Ju-chan
Hi Ju-chan,

Have you tried changing the timeout setting for your query? If you click the query and then in the properties to the bottom right there's a Timeout setting.

By default I believe a query has a default timeout of 30 seconds. If your DB has encrypted text and has to decrypt the data to serve your query it could be taking its time and timeing out.

Cheers,
Richard
Hello Richard,

Yup! I've tried changing 30 seconds to 60 seconds, but to no avail. Also, any clues on how will I decrypt an encrypted DB using the Advanced Query.

Thanks,
Ju-chan
Hi Ju-chan,

Not a clue I'm afraid. In the past where I've had a timeout exception it's been because of a long running query on the SQL server. We've managed to identify that by using SQL Profiler to see the query - if you do that and see it's terminating after 60 seconds then maybe the timeout isn't big enough? But then again if it's taking 60 seconds it could be the query needs optimising in some way?

Good luck with your issue - hopefully someone else can suggest something!

Cheers,
Richard
Hi Ju-Chan,

I had a similar problem, with a table that have more than 10 million records, the solution was always have some filter in the query.

Nuno Rolo
Hello,

May I know how can I catch the database timeout exception for the users to continue to what they are doing and also to be able to control the database timeout time by the user?

Thanks,

Ju-chan