Introducing the new OutSystems Platform PaaS offer

Introducing the new OutSystems Platform PaaS offer

Hello!

Today we are announcing the general availability of the OutSystems Platform public cloud Platform as a Service (PaaS) offering.

By making the platform directly accessible in the cloud, we are making it even easier for IT organizations to build, deploy and manage enterprise-class web and mobile applications.

With this announcement the OutSystems Platform is now available as a public cloud service, for on-premises deployments and even hybrid combinations of cloud and on-premises. And, of course, the community edition is still available for free.

Check out the full announcement here:

http://www.outsystems.com/company/intl/paas-pr/

Cheers,

Gonçalo Borrêga

Great news Guys!

Whilst a lot of techies out there may be disappointed I believe this is the best way forward for the platform. 
These were the sentiments I email to Ruud jast a couple of weeks ago:

Hi Ruud
I am feeling a bit despondent with Outsystems at the moment as its difficult to find employment in it. I had thought 2013 would be the breakout year for it given 2012 the US Army adopted but for someone who is scanning everyday this year so far for opportunities it’s awfully quiet out there (except Portugal of course).  
Take for example a quick scan on indeed.com for jobs today there are 293:29:2 jobs ratio for Salesforce:Mendix:Outsystems respectively.
http://www.indeed.nl/vacatures?q=salesforce&l=      
http://www.indeed.nl/vacatures?q=outsystems&l=
http://www.indeed.nl/vacatures?q=mendix&l=
Whilst we know Outsystems tech is as good as Salesforce and Mendix is a lagging copy cat competitor their market positioning is much clearer (they operate only in the cloud), whereas Outsystems the more versatile of the lot is competing with the established .Net & Java stacks / frameworks out there as well as the cloud. Which is not only confusing its a hard sell against those established houses. My feeling is if it was a silicon valley based company positioned only in the cloud with predefined outofbox templates they would already be on their way to being a fortune 500 company.

What are your thoughts about the positioning of the platform and its future prospects?

PAAS is the way to go!
Just my two cents FWIW

Cheers
Richard 
I think Richard's post is a very thoughtful one, although it breaths a bit of (very understandable) frustration.
Let me start by saying that OutSystems is not the only technology that one would have problems in finding employment with. Many other software development platforms have the same problem.

Being "Easy to use" is not exactly one of the boosters of employment chances. The more "ease-of-use" becomes a characteristic of a product, the less demand for personell specialized in it. I have seen that with many other products in the market. The platform I come from has exactly the same "problems". It's a great platform, but there are no jobs to be found in it scanning the payroll market. 

Having some years of experience under the belt, I think the answer lies in the integration aspect and market placement of the product.

Whereas Outsystems licensing policies and pricing strategies target the corporate environment, the technical architecture does tend to fit more to the standalone market. That creates a tension between price and market placement which prevents from fast commercial growth.

The corporate environment has high priorities in interconnectivity between all parts of the corporate information technology landscape. That tends to bring forward the need for standard. Standard protocols, standard code, standard everything. Which means, that it will bring more work and it will need specialized experts, but on the other hand anything can connect with anything and anything can be governed by corporate management software in a lot of ways. The Outsystems platform sort of aims to be a totally independent production, deployment, lifecyle, maintenance and service system in itself, which seems a bit counter-cooperative with the corporate needs in this era.

Looking at the traditional OutSytems offerings, the product's commercial success could in my humble opinion benefit hugely from a license offer for the market of independent developers and small businesses who do not have the corporate approach, BUT have the need for a high quality "solves-everything" solution.

Again, in my opinion, the current offerings pushes exactly those potential customers away that could boost the commercial success of the product. It's not a matter of technology, it's a matter of strategy.

PAAS seems a great addition to the offerings, but as long as we don't know the complete picture, we can't really judge it's placement in the market and so we can't decide whether it fits our needs and budgets as well. Hence, there is no way to tell whether OutSystems PAAS offerings is viable for independent developers or small businesses or only targeted once more towards the corporate environment.

I would be interested to learn about the pricing of the PAAS offer.
Marcel

Yes I am a bit frustrated but I think targeting the developer community should never be underestimated look at what apple did with the app economy, suddenly anyone with a good idea could bring it potentially to hundreds of miliions of customers with little or no barriers to entry and that changed everything and created a new market. Essentially this is what salesforce did, suddenly any small shop didn't need to invest millions into an ERP like system or need an army of developers to configure it, they could have a state of the art CRM easily configured for them that puts them on an equal if not better than the big boys and all this for a hundred dollars per user per month. Whats not to like, business case is a no brainer no hardware no software and away you go, I just hope that OS isn't changing its game too often that it is potentially putting off people. I am still ever the optimist though, go OS! 
I am right there with you. Indeed, underestimating the developer community in a commercial sense is not a very smart thing to do. Underestimating anything is not a smart thing to do for that matter :-)

Independent developers can be a very valuable salesforce. Since they get orders to create applications and the customers of those developers can end up with whatever platform the developer chooses to use if they are a starter. If the developer is taken care of licensewise with a bit of consideration and strategy, the platform of choice could very easily become OutSystems and not something else.

The corporate world is quite a different animal as the market of small to medium companies. The corporate world has a much more fixed way of analysing its needs and structures whilst the small to medium companies tend to lean on developers advice much more.

A special independent developer license for the platform could help open a completely new market niche. In the end, this is software. Selling more copies only costs little more but raises a lot more in terms of license revenues and secondary income from support and training. Not to mention future upgrades and other spin-off sales. 

PAAS could be a good way to go depending on various parameters. Price is one of them, but there are many more. Some of them depend heavily of the branch of industry. Some industries are more willing to innovate than others, some branches are quite traditional and are still hesitating to take their solutions to the cloud or even are hostile towards the idea. Personally, I think SAAS is a great solution in many ways. In the end, cloud based computing can very possibly be the only way to go especially if you look at the monsterous power consumption and CO2 emissions our infrastructures are inflicting upon society and nature. Technology is more likely to improve on those factors from a general approach than as a micro structure. The UK will need to start importing energy in a few years to cope with the power demands of fast growing datacenters. I think combined infrastructures as needed for SAAS offer the best options to manage those problems. But that's just only one issue. Although a very important one, there are many more.
Marcel Onck wrote:
In the end, cloud based computing can very possibly be the only way to go especially if you look at the monsterous power consumption and CO2 emissions our infrastructures are inflicting upon society and nature. Technology is more likely to improve on those factors from a general approach than as a micro structure. The UK will need to start importing energy in a few years to cope with the power demands of fast growing datacenters. I think combined infrastructures as needed for SAAS offer the best options to manage those problems. But that's just only one issue. Although a very important one, there are many more.
Actually this is the misnomer, if cloud communication takes places over mobile connections then is not really good for the environment but the govts. have to take in those licence fees ;-)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2386933/Watching-TV-phone-using-mobile-data-produces-carbon-emissions-driving-10-miles-CAR.html

I don't think so. The point here is not the mobile connection. Regardless of where the computing power resides, the mobile connections will be part of the future anyhow. Once the ghost is out of the bottle, there is almost no way to put it back in. We have seen that with cars, where once there was one and now there are quadrazillions.

The challenge is not to slow down pace of evolution, but to steer evolution in the best way you can: in this case see to it that the actual computing power is not decentralized into every single office building (where the environmental protection is much more challenging) but in professional data centers (where because of scaling advantages environmental protection is much less challenging). Cloud services make that possible.
"...now available..."

Does this actually mean that PAAS licenses are being sold starting as of today?
Where can we find detailed information on offerings, and pricing information?
If not, is there any public release date available?

Hi Marcel,

Yes, our PaaS offer is live since October 1st.
You can find a more detailed and technical overview of the OutSystems Platform - Enterprise Cloud in this technical note.

For additional information, such as pricing, please contact your Account Manager, or use the website's Contact Form.

Regards.