[Line and Pie Graphs enhancements] Did LineChart have some of its standard functionalities removed? Why?

[Line and Pie Graphs enhancements] Did LineChart have some of its standard functionalities removed? Why?

Forge Component
(1)
Published on 2013-12-02 by Filipe Jacinto
1 vote
Published on 2013-12-02 by Filipe Jacinto
Hi!

I've been studying Highcharts API for the last day and I would like to ask some questions:

The api gives line charts some standard funcionalities by default such as toggling lines visibility, visually differentiate line points from the line itself and exporting to pdf/image or printing. (This is a working example whith no customization whatsoever and these functionalities are avaliable by default).

Is there any reason for the Platform LineChart having specific code to disable them?
Or am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards
Hi Filipe,

Yes, indeed our charts override the defaults from Highcharts (and actually improve their functionality).
That is because we tweaked the charts to work and look as good as possible on OutSystems applications.
You can take a look at the bottom of HighCharts.js file referred in the header of the generated application to see what our defaults are.

Cheers,
- Diogo
Hi Diogo,
Thank you for replying.

The thing I don't understand is, how are Highcharts functionality improved by disabling functionalities ?
(such as toggling lines visibility, visually differentiate line points from the line itself and exporting to pdf/image or printing)
Is it because disabling this funcionalities you get a standard prettier chart?
Is it because you get a more trust worthy cross browser compatibility? Did you find any limitations regarding these specific functionalities?
I would like to know this because in this component I posted here, I re-overrode what you already had overridden. But, If you overrode it for some GOOD reason in the first place, I need to know why to be able to avoid it!
(If the only point is to "look good", I think you would make it customizable (non-mandatory input paramentes that would have default values that would make the charts look as they look now)... So I'm a little bit worried here: what's wrong with this charts?)

Thank you!
Hi,

The exporting capabilities you mention in jsfiddle are enabled by the additional exporting script. We didn't disable them from Highcharts, but didn't include them either because it clutters the chart and can be added if needed (after all, it's an advanced scenario).
We found it important to differentiate the data in a line chart, because that way you know which points are real and which ones are extrapolated.
There's nothing wrong with Highcharts' defaults, but keep in mind it's a generic library for drawing charts. When you use a generic library for a specific purpose, you usually have to tweak it to better fit that purpose.
That's what we did so we could minimize the number of configurations you have to do to get a great chart out of the box, using a default OutSystems application, based on several real applications using the previous FusionCharts components.

We didn't remove any options (or functionality) from Highcharts, you can fully customize a chart to fit your needs using the AdvancedFormat property of a chart.
Hi,
Understood.
Thanks again for your fast reply.
Best Regards