Publish to cloud

Excuse the obvious question by a newbie...

So far I'm really impressed with even the CE platform and I'm working my way through the academy videos and help info.

One thing I'm confused about and can't seem to find are the publishing options.  Where do I find configuration options to publish to particular cloud hosts, and what are the easiest options using this platform?

Brad
Hi Brad,

Happy to have you onboard!

Let me try to describe what are the deployment options for the platform. It may seem confusing at first, as you don't deploy the applications themselves to a particular host (it is very different from a RAD tool where you generate the code, compile it, and deploy it somewhere). In the platform, these operations are fully automated for you.

All the deployment, monitoring, troubleshooting, version control, configurations management are done in the platform itself, in a centralized management web console. Check the following screenshots to get a small glimpse of what kind of operations are available there: 
 - Version management across environments
 - Automatically deploying a version - and a video that describes the entire process
 - The built-in (end user and application/system level) performance management 
- Monitoring in detail on the Service Center environment console

If you're using the online trial, we've provisioned one small development environment for you in the cloud. When you hit the 1 Click Publish button in Service Studio, your application is actually being sent to that development environment, compiled and deployed there. To host your applications you'll need another "Environment", and use the same process to deploy your applications there.

Now, where can you deploy the Platform (and your apps)?

OutSystems has a public PaaS option for the Enterprise, where you have access to your own set of environments (Dev, QA, Production), with an integrated deployment pipeline. Your applications are developed there and deployed in our public PaaS. All your cloud operations (such as scaling out your servers) are done on the Platform self service management console as well.

We also allow you to deploy the platform on your own private cloud, your servers, or on a public IaaS such as Amazon, Rackspace, etc. In order to do this, you install the platform on a virtual machine or server, following the installation instructions. From that point on you get access to the same management consoles on your private cloud/servers. 
You can also have a mix of both (e.g. having your Dev and Test environments in our public PaaS, and your Production environment on your own servers, creating a hybrid cloud).

Deploying apps built with the Community Edition
The Community Edition (a limited edition of the platform) can be installed on any Windows server the same way - Download and install it. The Community edition doesn't give you access to all the management and deployment operations, and it has only "one environment", so the automated deployment between Dev and Production environments is not available.

It does give you access to your environment management console (which we call Service Center) though.
Service Center can be accessed by:
- logging in to your environment url address at http://<YOURSERVER>/ServiceCenter, or
- in Service Studio, by selecting the  Server tab and clicking on   Server Management... that is available both in the Server menu or directly on the Toolbar

With the Community Edition, you can use Service Center to download a "Solution" (which is really a bundle of several modules/espaces that you want to deploy somewhere else).
One note though: Since the Community edition only gives you a single environment, your code/application is also locked to that environment. So before deploying your applications to the 2nd (Production) environment, you'll need to publish your solution to the OutSystems Forge (making it public / open-source). After this, you can then pick your solution/application from there and publish it to your other environment(s), via Service Center or Service Studio (or just double-clicking the Solution file...)

Hope it helps.