OutSystems Platform 8.0.1 phased launch

OutSystems Platform 8.0.1 phased launch

Hi fellow community users!

We will be doing a phased launch of the OutSystems Platform version 8.0.1, and in this post, I want to share with you the optimal upgrade path. If you are brand new to OutSystems, you can disregard this note and simply install the desktop application as instructed on the sign-up pages. If you just grabbed your personal environment and have an existing OutSystems Platform installation that you want to use side-by-side with your new cloud-based environment, please follow these instructions.

Platform Server 8.0.1 will have a GA build for all our enterprise customers in February. Until then, anyone who wants to take an early peek can claim their personal environment.

Upgrade Recommendations
This version includes some major improvements and even though it has no breaking changes, it requires both the Platform Server and Service Studio to be patched to 8.0.1.

As such, if you'll still be working with version 8.0.0 or lower environments we recommend that you do not overwrite the Service Studio you currently use. Install the new Service Studio next to it by changing the destination folder to:
C:\Program Files\OutSystems\Service Studio\8.0.1

After installation, the new Service Studio will take over as the one assigned to open OutSystems files (OML) on your workstation. If you want to continue opening these files with Service Studio version 8.0.0 you need to install version 8.0.0 again (get it here).

Here are the revised recommendations to get the two installations side-by-side:
  1. Install Service Studio 8.0.1 to this folder:
    C:\Program Files\OutSystems\Service Studio 8.0.1
    Mind the version (8.0.1) to make sure it won't install over you existing version.
  2. Install Service Studio 8.0 to this folder:
    C:\Program Files\OutSystems\Service Studio 8.0
    This step is required so that OML files continue opening with Service Studio 8.0.
  3. Create a new shortcut for Service Studio 8.0.1:
    C:\Program Files\OutSystems\Service Studio 8.0.1\ServiceStudio.exe

José Caldeira
OutSystems R&D
Hi all

I would like to emphasize this again: 8.0.0 and 8.0.1 are different releases, which means Service Studio 8.0.1 cannot connect to Platform Server 8.0.0, or vice-versa.

If you are working on 8.0 factories, make sure to install a separate 8.0.0 and 8.0.1 Service Studio, by installing them to separate folders.

Wouldn't it have been better to name it 8.1, then?

Or maybe 8.5, to show that it's not yet 9.0, but it's definitely not 8.0 (kind of like Microsoft did with Windows Phone 7 -> 7.5 -> 7.8)

Because, now when you issue updates to 8.0, how will you name them? 8.0.0.x?

The London theme will be an individual espace or will be integrated in RichWidgets like the other themes?
I ask this because in the OrderManagement demo kit it's an espace.

I would like to use it in a new enterprise project. Can the theme be released before the new platform? 
If not, it's a good idea to use the London espace and then with the 8.0.1 swap to the final theme?

Hi Carlos,

The London theme will be included in Richwidgets, like the other themes. And yes, if you are creating a new enterprise project you can use that eSpace and then switch to the final London theme, although you'll probably have to do some manual work (e.g. creating and dragging the header web block to all pages, making sure the menu web block has the same structure, etc...). And that version is not supported, any fixes to the theme that you need you'll have to do it yourself.

All this will be effortless once you start using version 8.0.1.

Tiago Simões
Carlos Ribeiro da Fonseca wrote:

Wouldn't it have been better to name it 8.1, then?

Or maybe 8.5, to show that it's not yet 9.0, but it's definitely not 8.0 (kind of like Microsoft did with Windows Phone 7 -> 7.5 -> 7.8)

Because, now when you issue updates to 8.0, how will you name them? 8.0.0.x?
 Hi Carlos,

The reasoning behind it is just that this version has no breaking changes to 8.0.0 applications. Your applications will be running exactly as they were before this version. Updates or defect fixes to 8.0 will be made under 8.0.1.x and under its (the same) support lifecycle. The only reason it is 8.0.1 is to ensure that when you install this "patch" you install both the server and development components.
Is the download link broken  for the what's new in 8.01 doc?

Regards, Harry
Hi Harry,

Thanks for warning us, the link should work now.

Tiago Simões
When will this be released?
Hi Geraldine,

You can find the downloads available at http://www.outsystems.com/home/downloads/.

Tiago Simões
Hi guys 
How can I change hostname myname.outsystemscloud.com

Hi Goran,

We have to do it for you. Drop us a mail at success@outsystems.com with the new subdomain you want to use.

Hi Davide
Thanks you are the best :) :) :) 

I want to be sure before I start: I have an environment of four servers: Train->Development->QA->Production.

Can I update the Training server to 8.0.1 and leave the others at

Thank you,

Hi Alan,

You can't publish code from version 8.0.1 to, i.e., if you update Training you'll have to upgrade the other environments.