HTTPRequestHandler

HTTPRequestHandler

Does the HTTPRequestHandler function like an asynchronous Ajax call.  What exactly is occuring when I do a GetEntryURL to execute an action such as HtmlConvertToPdf/GeneratePDF, then retrieve the data via GeneratePDF.PDFBinary.  How does OutSystems know when the call to the URL has completed?

Where can I find decent documentation on the HTTPRequestHandler?
HI Bob,

The GetEntryURL does not make any HTTP request, it only builds the URL for the entry point you give it. On your example the http request is done by the HtmlConvertToPdf. OutSystems does not know the call is finished it only knows that the action GeneratePDF finished.

Unfortunately we don't have documentation for the HTTPRequestHandler apart from the descriptions of the actions, parameters and structures that you can see in Service Studio.

ON a more advanced use case, you can inspect the code on Integration Studio to see what it does.
André Vieira wrote:
HI Bob,

The GetEntryURL does not make any HTTP request, it only builds the URL for the entry point you give it. On your example the http request is done by the HtmlConvertToPdf. OutSystems does not know the call is finished it only knows that the action GeneratePDF finished.

Unfortunately we don't have documentation for the HTTPRequestHandler apart from the descriptions of the actions, parameters and structures that you can see in Service Studio.

ON a more advanced use case, you can inspect the code on Integration Studio to see what it does.
 Then I assume that calling GeneratePDF is done via a synchronous ajax (i.e. an HTTP Request) call.  I'm looking into this because we have an application that calls GeneratePDF through an entry URL which is then immediately followed by an assignment of  GeneratePDF.PDFBinary to a variable.  There must be internal code that waits for the ajax call to return a status indicating the call is complete. I just want to confirm this to eliminate this code from further research on a bug that has cropped up in the Action where this is being done.
You need to look into the GeneratePDF action.
Is this action from a component in the forge?
GeneratePDF does do a syncronous call to the page, and it is a full GET. If you look under the hood of that Extension, it is actually using an executable which wraps Chrome, has Chrome render the page, and then saves it to a PDF and provides the data back.

J.Ja
Thanks Justin.  You confirmed what I hoped is the case.