Can you actually import directly data model from Data modeling Tool like Erwin?

Can you actually import directly data model from Data modeling Tool like Erwin?

Hi,

i am wondering whether you can import directly from a data modeling tool and create your data tables from it?

Cheers,

Simon
Hi Simon,

Thank you for your comment. 

Once the OutSystems development tool provides built-in data modeling features, there isn't any native mechanism to import the output of a database modelling tool and generate entities based on that.

However, the OutSystems platform already provides native mechanisms to import tables from Oracle or MS SQL and use them on the applications.

Can you share what is your use case to import from a data modelling tool for OutSystems?

Thank you.

Cheers,

Rui Toscano

This is the corporate requirements/questions coming from our architect.

So, you do need to using the data modeling tool to generate the physical tables in the database and then outsystems can connect to the database directly and import the data model.
Simon Li wrote:
This is the corporate requirements/questions coming from our architect.

So, you do need to using the data modeling tool to generate the physical tables in the database and then outsystems can connect to the database directly and import the data model.
Hi Simon,

On this matter I'm foreseeing two options, the first one might apply for new applications where you don't have the data model defined yet on any data modelling tool.

If this is the case, you can define the data model directly on the OutSystems development environment and define the tables structures and relations as shown on the image below:

This will enable you to define your data model model on similar way to what DB modelling tools provide,but also to will automatically create the necessary actions to access and modify the data on the defined tables.

Please check the videos on http://www.outsystems.com/academy/training/ under the "Model and Query Data" section for more detaul on this question.

The second option applies if you already have the ER diagrams created on your Database modelling tool (ex. ERWIN), if this is the case you can generate the DDLs to create the tables on either .MS SQL or Oracle, create them on the database of your choice, and then use Integration studio to create the integration between OutSystems and your database.

Please check this post for more detail on this topic http://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/7362/how-to-integrate-with-an-external-sql-server-or-oracle-database-in-outsystems/

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Rui Toscano

Rui,

Do I understand it correctly.

I can use a data modeling tool to create my data model. Then create the SQL database with scripts. Then link the database to Outsystems solution?

Will all my relations and contraints and so on be used in the Outsystems solution.

Regards,
Andre
Hi Andre,

The OutSystems platform can integrate with external databases (eg. Oracle, MS SQL, or MySql) so if you import them as described on the following post http://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/7362/how-to-integrate-with-an-external-sql-server-or-oracle-database-in-outsystems/ the relations between the tables will also be imported.

So, on this scenario if you really want to model your application's database out of service studio and then import it is possible.

But do you have a specific use case, you need help with?

Regards,

Rui Toscano