Ideas - Are they often implemented?

Ideas - Are they often implemented?

Hi,

I have seen so many great ideas submitted over the time I have been using Outsystems. 

After reviewing the most popular & long ago submitted etc. it seems to me (I stand to be corrected) that not very many are actually implimented by OS. 

Whilst I appreciate some ideas would be complicated/time consuming, it would be nice to see some more action in this front.

Pre-weekend thoughts! time for a beer now as it's Friday afternoon in .AU now :)

Cheers!

negative mode
 you are opening a can of worms now :/

positive mode
it depends.
There are ideas that are implemented and will be implemented.
There are tons of ideas which have their own right to be implemented, but only for a specific number of users.
For now, only the ideas that will potentially broaden their customerbase will get implemented.
Other ideas, although in words simple, are just to ground-breaking in the Outsystems design it will not get implemented. (effort versus productivity)

since we still don't know reasons behind certain ideas getting "rejected" we are forced to wait and see a black box evolve.

check out http://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/9112/wisdom-of-the-crowds-warning-bit-of-a-rant/

Like Statler&Waldorf said, many ideas are useful only to a small group of developers.

Looking to the most wanted unimplemented ideas, some are on the move (MySQL integration was a trending topic in NextStep) and some aren't (the list is huge).
I consider this not as a list of things OS will implement, but as a list of things we want and OS uses as a reference of needs. The priority is low.
I understand that many of the ideas may be challenging or limited to a few people but lets just look at the Top 10.  All ten of them have been around since the first half of 2010, otherwise known as an eternity in software development time.  All of them have at least 145 people that are interested in the feature which seems like a lot but that's hard to tell.  I personally don't care what does or doesn't get implemented but tell us what is happening by creating an Outsystems Platform Roadmap, for the next 2 or 3 releases.  No firm commitments, no corporate secrets, just let us know what you features you are working on and add this information to the idea and produce a plan that will help us understand where Outsystems is going in the future.

It's the not knowing that's the problem in my opinion.  Take the most popular idea where over a four year period there have been no comments from Outsystems.  If the answer is no, say that and explain why and then we can move on.  For ideas that are on the Outsystems Platform Roadmap mark those ideas with a planned version number.  If plans change, make the necessary updates.

So, let's take the MySQL support idea as an example.  Assume I have a project that (for whatever reason) requires MySQL.  Because there is no response from Outsystems and no roadmap I would have to use something else for my project.  If I knew MySQL was on the roadmap I can make a better decision about whether I want to wait for that feature, knowing there is some risk that it might not be delivered.  If Outsystems made a decision not to implement that feature, and made that decision known, then I can go use something else. 

Another small example is the upcoming version 9 that had some mention (based on forum posts) at NextStep.  Somewhere I should be able to find a list of features that are going to be in that release, so I can make plans, but nothing is available.

Sorry I rambled - it's obviously been something I've been thinking about.
IMHO, sharing a roadmap seems improbable, even the novalties of platform 9 are not written anywhere yet. Once you write it down, doesn't really matter how much you say that it is informal and uncommitted... there is always someone who will charge it from you.

Go / not go feedback on each idea can also be dangerous, because times change and what seemed unuseful once can become mandatory later.

Also, 145 yes votes on an idea, by mainly developers (I suppose) seems not much to make it a must-have feature, especially because the main OS goal is "broaden their customerbase" (makes sense). And in that sense, "ideas" gathered from direct contacts with potential buyers (not developers ;-)) will become the priority.

So I would summarise this great topic in one question: does the forum "Ideas" have any interest at all?

Sure, it's nice that you feel you can share with others and OS what you are missing on the platform, but if it actually turns out to be low priority, what's the point? ;-)
I can't believe a forum full of developers is getting uppity about committing to a feature release-- if this was an easy thing then project managers would not have jobs. :P (I am kidding. Mostly.)