Database for Outsystems cloud

Database for Outsystems cloud

Hi,

I am connecting to my environment in Outsystems cloud (<username>.outsystemscloud.com) to try some examples from training module. I was wondering if there is a way to actually look at the database where it is saving the data to understand it better? Or link to anything where I can actually see my saved tables and records?

Thanks,
Sindh
The idea of Personal Environment (and OutSystems in general) is that you don't need to worry with anything but your app.
You can look at the db if you install a community edition, but one think I learned is all this years, is that if you have access to the data, you will end up editing it manually instead of doing a robust and useful app.

Keep it away and very well locked :D

You can probably find some documentation about it. Basically:
-Everything is uppercase;
-The tables are created with a os prefix, followed by a unique 3-letters prefix for each eSpace you create, followed by the name of your Entity;
-When the column type is changed, a new column is added, the olds are never deleted.

Anyone cares to add something else?
One thing I don't like at all is when creating new entities with not so large names, this is cut and a sequential number is attached to the end of the entity's physical name even if the object could have a larger name (in the Dbms). For my BI people it's terrible, and I had to workaround with automated view creation timers on every deploy. I've already tried setting the parameter to use the logical name as physical, but the is still limited in 17 characters (if I remember well), even when Oracle permits 30 characters. I think an advanced configuration of naming patterns for database would be great.
Thank you for the input. At this time, I mostly need a way to look at the data saved in the tables, rather than structure of the database. Something like "select * from TABLE" to make sure the SQL I had in appication inserted as how I wanted to. Can I do that in community edition? Thanks!
You can simply drop your table inside a screen action and test it.
At least part of the reason for this is that Outsystems adds a prefix to each entity it creates, reducing the usable number of characters for the actual entity name.  If you need to be sure your entities have the name you want you can look at this post - http://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/3444/configuring-the-physical-table-name-format-for-entities/ - which describes options that can control how entity names are created.  Be sure to heed the warnings mentioned to be sure you don't break anything.  The only other workaround is to use shorter names.

Hope this helps.