Remote SQLServer Database Access

Remote SQLServer Database Access

Hi everyone,

I'm getting the following error whenever I try to import an entity from database. 
  "SBOXDB is not configured for DATA ACCESS" using Integration Studio 8

This error occurs when I click "Next" in the import entity from database wizard with the SBOXDB linked server selected.

How do i fix this?

Glenroy
Hi Glenroy,

Why are you trying to do an integration with the linked server?

I recommend you create a new database connection in service center, using the appropriate user, to talk to the desired database catalog(s) if you haven't already done so. This is what we will do to separate user access from the OS runtime user, which is used to access and modify the data within the metadata repository.

If that doesn't work, then check out the following tip on MSDN (it also comes up on a quick google search), perhaps that will help you:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e8ddc4d8-38db-42fe-b84e-665ed951565e/server-is-not-configured-for-data-access-error?forum=sqldataaccess

Cheers,
Isaac
Hello Isaac,

Thanks so much for your reply.

What I'm really trying to do is connect to an MS SQL Server on my network.  I suppose the real question is this: Can I connect to databases like SQL Server using the free edition of the OutSystems Platform?

Best Regards
Glenroy
Hi Glenroy,

You can. Below is a thread that walks through the workflow of how to connect to an external database using the Platform. It's actually quite easy, and will get even better with v9.

http://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/11760/connect-to-an-external-database/

However, if you are using the personal environment in the cloud, you will most likely have to make your database accessible in a way you don't want in order to connect from the platform, since vpn is not available. (VPN is available in the licensed version) A better thing may be to export your data, at least for now, into excel files that you can then bootstrap into the platform, creating the entities that you can use to build your app. 

Another option may be to use web services if you can access your data through those. 

Cheers,
Isaac
Wow! That was a quick response. I really appreciate it.

I will try the options you suggested.

Thank you Isaac.