Using existing SQL database

Using existing SQL database

Hi, I am busy evaluating outsystems for our company.  I've started with the tutorials and am done up until chapter 5, very impressed so far with the time-saving ability of it all.  I have a question though and I'm not sure if I will find my answer further in the tutorial and hence I am posting here.

Let's say we have an existing SQL database for one of our systems, and I want to use outsystems to create a front-end to manage some of the data in the database.  So in other words, I have services etc. using the database already, and on top of that I want to create a front-end for the database using outsystems.

Is that even possible?

I don't want to export all the data from my database to excel and then import it into outsystems, I just want to tell outsystems where my existing database is, and use it in that way.
Welcome, I hope your stay with OutSystems will be long.

You can do the conection with that DB with Integration Studio (it's just drag and drop) and work with the table as if it was native, as long as you have a key column in each table. If any table as no key, or a key with more than one column, you can only do Selects over it.
Check it here.
Hi Nuno, thank you for the fast reply!  I had a look at your suggestion.

I think that currently I won't be able to test that feature because I do not have an installation of the Outsystems environment on our network, so that is why I am not able to access a database server on our network?

I have in the meanwhile downloaded PlatformServer-8.0.1.16.exe, followed all the steps which open in the browser, and I end up getting the following error.
Jacques-Francois Loots wrote:
Hi Nuno, thank you for the fast reply!  I had a look at your suggestion.

I think that currently I won't be able to test that feature because I do not have an installation of the Outsystems environment on our network, so that is why I am not able to access a database server on our network?

That's right.
The database needs to be accessible from the server. In Personal Environment I went to Entities -> Import from Database, and all I can see only 2 servers in the network.
In my intranet I can see several servers.

Why don't you try also Community Edition (OS 7) to test that functionality?

The alternative would be to make the db public...
http://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/12164/remote-sqlserver-database-access/

About the error, is that a Windows 8? Read this.
I first got the error on Windows 8.1, then I tried it on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard and got the error as well.
Ok, got it working on my local PC.