3.1 Start From a UI Template

3.1 Start From a UI Template

I would like to put an Excel application I have, on the Web. I tried to open it, on your guided tutorial ( Getting Started) but it doesn't see it. The extension it looks for seems to be Application, that's a bit confusing. Can you advise? Thanks
Rui
Hi Rui,

I'm affraid I don't follow you :(
You have an excel file where you have some data and you want to convert that to a web application, is this it?

I there,
In Lesson 3.1 - Start From a UI Template i'm having some difficulties in finding a responsive module.
The only options available are: New Mobile eSpace Module, New Blank eSpace Module and new extension Module.
Where am i doing the mistake?
Thanks in advance.
Hi Jorge,

We are currently updating our Online Training and you got caught up in the process :( We are deeply sorry for this.
Looks like you created a Mobile Application and not a Web Application. No problem! You can just go back and create a new Web Application (give it a different name if you need to) and create a new eSpace Module.
You can follow the training for your version here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m3AP5m5vYQ&list=PLxALhSwsaivwLr5zY-XJaB23QYvP4jow2
Yes, that's correct. So, the extension of my file is .xls (Excel Workbook) and your application seems to look for a .application extension.
Tnx

André Vieira
wrote:
Hi Rui,

I'm affraid I don't follow you :(
You have an excel file where you have some data and you want to convert that to a web application, is this it?

Sorry Rui, I still don't follow you, but let me try to guess here...
I suppose that in your excel file you have one or more sheets with data. For each one of these sheets with raw data you have to create an entity to store that information in the database. For this check out this video: 14.1 Create an Entity from an Excel File. It is advisable that you separate the sheets in different excel files so that you better control what is created.
Ok, thanks, I will try that.
regards.
Jorge,
just click in New eScape Module and enjoy,try it.
Hi everyone!

When I try to bootstrap the data, the fields that appear in the movie tutorial and different than mine. I have: email and phone. The attributes must match so the data can be boostrapped, right? What is happening?
I think I just have figured it out. My excel file is different from the movie tutorial.
Rúben Santos wrote:
I think I just have figured it out. My excel file is different from the movie tutorial.
Hi Rúben,

Why is it different? Did you downloaded from the lesson materials in the previous lesson?

Cheers

Same for me. When I bootstrap from the contacts.xlsx Excel in the TutorialResources it seems to have different or more fields: Name, JobTitle, Phone and Email. The trainingvideo only uses Name and PhoneNumber.
Ronald Mos wrote:
Same for me. When I bootstrap from the contacts.xlsx Excel in the TutorialResources it seems to have different or more fields: Name, JobTitle, Phone and Email. The trainingvideo only uses Name and PhoneNumber.

Ronald,

Use the material of the lesson. You'll find a link to download it under the video. 
Okay, that works better :)
Hi

I am new into Outsystems and am enjoying the platform so far. I need your help as I couldn't find the relevant tutorial to guide me.

I want to try a different approach from the flow of the Phone Book application example. Currently the Phone Book's Contact screen automatically fetches data records from the database when the application is started.

What I would like to do is change the logic of the screen flow by making the first screen activated to be the Search Screen. This Search Screen should only have the Name Input Text Field and the Search Button.

Now, when the user has entered text in the Name Input Text Field and pressed the Search Button, the following screen actions should happen:
  1. From the Search Screen, the system should open the Contacts Screen
  2. The system should pass text obtained from the Search Screen's Name Input Text Field to the Contacts Screen.
  3. The Contacts Screen should display details of contact details from the database matching the name passed from the Search Screen's Name Input Text Field.
As you can see from my example, the Contacts Screen would no longer automatically fetch data records from the database, but would only fetch the record matching data passed from the Search Screen's input text field.

How could I make the search screen appear first and work as described above?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
Seth
Hi Seth,

First of all welcome to OutSystems community! I hope you have lots of fun.

The online training does not have a tutorial that matches your use case, but if you follow it you will learn what you need to build what you want.

You will learn how to work with inputs and how to send information between pages.
You will learn how to fetch data from the database and make that data match a specific value. 
You will also learn how to make that search screen the home of your application.
You will also learn how to build logic to test that a contact matching that search keyword doesn't exist and you'll be able to give that message back to the user.

So my best advice would be for you to invest a little time on this module and see what you are able to do by the end of it.

Come back to the forums if you have any question or an issue that is blocking you. You can share your work in progress with us and we'll give you feedback on it.

Cheers

Hi Admin,

May I ask how to use the module which download from the forge? Do you have vido or document on it? I want to use ardoJSON module in my application, thanks.
eric wang wrote:
Hi Admin,

May I ask how to use the module which download from the forge? Do you have vido or document on it? I want to use ardoJSON module in my application, thanks.
Eric,

We do not have videos nor documentation of components made available by the community in the Forge. My suggestion is that you go into the Forge discussions of that component and that you try to get your answers there.

PS: Who's Admin? :) 

Hi,

I`m using excel as the data source, but when I update the excel file, the data didn`t get update in the Outsystem project even if I have re-update the excel. How can I make the excel data changes shown in the outsystem project? Thanks.
eric wang wrote:
Hi,

I`m using excel as the data source, but when I update the excel file, the data didn`t get update in the Outsystem project even if I have re-update the excel. How can I make the excel data changes shown in the outsystem project? Thanks.
Hi eric,

If you look into the bootstrap action you will notice that the first that it is done there is to actually check if there's already data for that entity in the database. If there is the action ends. Since the action runs every time you publish your application this is the way to assure your data is not smashed. What can you do to bootstrap data again? Well you can implement an action in a screen to clean up the data in the database. You can use a SQL node for that with a statement like DELETE FROM {Entity}.

Does this help?

Cheers 

André Vieira wrote:
eric wang wrote:
Hi,

Hi eric,

If you look into the bootstrap action you will notice that the first that it is done there is to actually check if there's already data for that entity in the database. If there is the action ends. Since the action runs every time you publish your application this is the way to assure your data is not smashed. What can you do to bootstrap data again? Well you can implement an action in a screen to clean up the data in the database. You can use a SQL node for that with a statement like DELETE FROM {Entity}.

Does this help?

Cheers 

Thanks a lot , it do help, but after delete the entity, I have met another issue. All the entity showing two times on the webpage. I don`t know why?

eric,

Can you share you module?