Version 9.0.0.3 isSearch Parameter

Version 9.0.0.3 isSearch Parameter

Hi,

I have upgraded to version 9 and cannto find where to set the isSearch paramter option.
Please can someone point me in the right direction.
Hi Ronald,

You'll have to change your filters. e.g. if you have a StatusId that you would like to behave as search parameter you can write a filter called:
MyEntity.StatusID = StatusId or StatusID = NullIdentifier()

Although search parameters were quite handy, there was always the need to explain them and had confusing behaviour when you used multiple parameters in different conditions. 

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
I have a query where i want to select records where the IsActive flag is true when a check box is ticked and both true and false when the check box is not ticked.

With the old parameter type it would have been easy, now I dont even think it is possible in a simple query.

Hi Ronald,

Wouldn't something like this work:

IsActive = False or MyEntity.Selected = True

I would probably rename the IsActive to something like OnlyShowActive to make it clearer.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
Tiago Simões wrote:
Although search parameters were quite handy, there was always the need to explain them and had confusing behaviour when you used multiple parameters in different conditions. 
I would call that a case of fixing something that ain't broken... They were indeed quite handy, and we use them a lot. I'm not looking forward to having to manually implement them like this...

Tiago Simões wrote:
Hi Ronald,

Wouldn't something like this work:

IsActive = False or MyEntity.Selected = True

I would probably rename the IsActive to something like OnlyShowActive to make it clearer.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões

I have not tried to think it through as yet but Ill give your suggestion a try and let you know.
Hi Kilian,

Yup, you are right. We have it in our backlog, but in the meantime it looked like it was a worth tradeoff to pay for the extra funcionality (sums, calculated columns, etc...). As you might have seen there is no concept of paramters at all in the aggregates, so you'll also have to declare less objects, making these condition more direct.

But we're definetly looking on how both existing and new users are, and will be, using aggregates, to see what we should tweak, add (or reintroduce) to help.

Thanks for your feedback,
Tiago Simões

What happens to this in any pre-V9 applications? Does this automatically get generated in the queries?
Hi Gerry,

Yes, it does.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
Hi Again,

With a bit of creative thinking I got it right. Thanks for the replies.

I would like to see this feature implemented again since it was very usefull.

Regards
Ronald
Hi Ronald,

Cool. Now for anyone who is also looking for this, as a rule of thumb, and while that feature is not implemented, having a search parameter in a condition is simply equivalent to having a condition like:
IsSearchParameter = NullValue or (PreviousCondition)

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
Just a small test:

I upgraded a Simple query with 2 search parameters

After upgrade the Simple Query is changed to:

Assign that checks whether the parameter is used (label Created by upgrade)

Data Agregate

Hi Matthias,

In the particular case of Text search parameters, we are following a slightly different strategy, because currently we can't guarantee exactly the same behavior (and that is something we don't want to break).

You might also notice that the first filter had no extra or-condition added, even though SearchKeyword was a search parameter. Since it was only used in expressions of the form SomeExpression like "%" + SearchKeyword + "%", we already have the desired behavior when the SearchKeyword is empty.

All the other cases are upgraded using the strategy Tiago mentioned.

Cheers,
Paulo Ferreira