Problems using the FileSystem Extension

Problems using the FileSystem Extension

Good evening,
It is a requirement to have a database with products, containing its description, picture, among other attributes.

I created an entity for the product picture and I am able to manually introduce and display a product picture (using the popup_upload widget or upload file widget).

Since there are more than 7000 products it is impossible to manually load each product picture, one at a time.

To massive populate the database with the product pictures, I was thinking in using the FileSystem extension.

I installed the extension, however i am not able to use the File_ReadBinary method. It is throwing an exception "Access to the path 'C:\1.jpg' is denied."

This exceptions occurs when i put the file directly in the C:\ folder. However, if I put the file on a folder that i have granted additional permissions, it throws a different exception "Could not find a part of the path 'C:\a\1.jpg'."

The goal is to massive load the files existing in a specific folder, however, currently, I am not able to load a single file due to these exceptions.

Can you help?

Thank you in advance,

Vasco Mendes
Vasco -

That error is pretty straight forwards, it means that part of that path does not exist, and the problem is in the path, not the file name. Make sure that you have that path 100% correct, and that the service account that is running the App Pool has access to that directory. Try granting "Everyone" read-only access to that entire directory started from the top to see if that makes a change, if so, you know it is permissions.

If the drive is a mapped drive, that will be a problem since the app pool account won't have access to the mapped drive letter.

J.Ja
Hi Justin

Which is the way to use one mapped drive? Its possible to give access to the app pool to one mapped drive?

Regards
Joao -

Don't use a mapped drive. Use the NetworkFileSystem extension, and use the UNC path to the same thing (in other words, if the mapped drive points to "\\server1\share1" just point the NetworkFileSystem actions to "\\server1\share1").

J.Ja
Justin James wrote:
Joao -

Don't use a mapped drive. Use the NetworkFileSystem extension, and use the UNC path to the same thing (in other words, if the mapped drive points to "\\server1\share1" just point the NetworkFileSystem actions to "\\server1\share1").

J.Ja
Justin

That's good solution, now I'm struggling with permissions. 
This front-end is not on domain but files are. I'm always getting "Access to the path '\\192.168.2.49\correio\DocumentManagement\128\132201B203909A191290110E431D9E14B3CE61.pdf' is denied."
I've already set permissions to everyone full control yet unsuccessfully.
Also tried to set run aplication as administrator and got "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password."

Do you have any idea to overtake this issue?

Thanks for tthe help
Joao -

I think that having the front-end in a workgroup and the file server in a domain will likely make things difficult. The domain's administrator account and the front-end's adminstrator account will be considered different SSID's and may have different passwords, so you won't win there.

I'd leave the "Run As" alone, and explicitly grant "Anonymous" (or "Unknown User"... I forget which, I'm really tired at the moment) full control over those files. If I remember right, "Everyone" isn't really "Anyone", it's "Everyone who authenticated" if that makes sense...

J.Ja
I want upload an image with Chinese name into the application. Currently I am using FileUploadControl but it is not allowing me to upload image with chinese words..

Can anyone help on this?

Thanks,
Venkatesh Gude.
Venktatesh -

What kinds of issues are you having? Specific error messages?

J.Ja
Hi Justin,
There is no error displaying just after progress no image is uploading into the application.

Thanks,
Venkatesh Gude.
Venktatesh -

What kinds of issues are you having? Specific error messages?

J.Ja

Try putting a breakpoint in the action, using the debugger to see what's going on. Make sure that the button/link is set to "Submit" and not "Ajax Submit".

J.Ja