LotusScript Migration

LotusScript Migration

We are planning migration from Notes and as far as I can tell, there is no automated migration method for the Platform along the lines of Gupta Composer.

So the process is essentially an 'eyeball approach' via from scratch rebuild which consumes the time of subject matter experts within the business.

This is hardly compelling compared to automated approaches so I was wondering whether anyone has any secret sauce to automate or dramatically reduce the time/effort of a Notes migration beyond an eyeball rebuild.
Hello MP,

have your read this paper on Lotus Notes migration?

I don't know if it helps but give it a read.

Cheers,
Pedro Cardoso
Thanks Pedro,

I have read that, but not only is there no automated code migration method in the OutSystems paradigm, it is implied that such tools are suspect:

"It’s now time for the actual migration phase. We know of some tools that can do this migration automatically, but you should be careful when using them. IT departments we interviewed were less than pleased with the results. As one CIO put it, these tools take a bad app and just make it worse!"

It's not a balanced view by any means and while Garbage In, Garbage Out applies, the most common code migration tools do assist with reworking an app. For example, being able to instantiate a database schema direct from a Notes app would be useful, as would be the ability to import the LotusScript and have the Platform create an initial visual representation. Even creating WSDL scaffolds from parsing the Notes app would assist.

Of course, even with automation you need to do manual labour, but automation reduces the need for SME involovement across the complete rework cycle and speeds up the process of conversion.

Regards, Michael
Hey Michael,

I totally undesrtand what you're saying. I wuold put it like "let the machine do the machine's job and let me use my brains for what they're useful for". Agree?

I've never done a Lotus migration myself, so I can not say what's in the platform that could help you in that, but you got me curious! :) I'm digging around to see what I can find ;)

Cheers,
Pedro Cardoso
Hi,
Please check these new posts: HOWTO: Connecting to a Lotus Notes / Domino application using ODBC and Linked Server.

Cheers,
FM

Thanks Fernando,

That is very helpful, appreciate your working that through and posting the process.

Regards, Michael