LifeTime - what happens under the hood when a server is added to lifetime?

LifeTime - what happens under the hood when a server is added to lifetime?

There are 3 servers

Server: LifeTime
Server: FrontEndA
Server: FrontEndB

1. What happens under the hood when server: FrontendA and FrontendB is added or removed to/from a LifeTime server?
  2. Are there any data written to the frontend servers? OR data is only created/updated to the LifeTime server?

Hello Robert,

Answering to your questions:

#1 - Among other operations, LifeTime is the responsible for user management, impact analysis and performance monitoring. When you register an environment to LifeTime it gets and sends the necessary data from and to all environments to handle these tasks

#2 - LifeTime communication occurs both ways, from and to the destination environments. As so, we store some data on both sides in order for them to be able to sync with each other.

If you want to know more about LifeTime, please check this technote.

Cheers!
Nuno Parreira
Hi guys,

I'm having a question along these lines. 
Is it possible to restore a server from LifeTime? 
Or do i need to individually backup all the servers ?
In the case when development server fails ?

It depends...

In OutSystems Enterprise PaaS subscriptions, you may request a restore of a backup of your production environment in Lifetime. These backups are taken automatically, so you don't need to worry in advance.

In the unlikely event that a development environment fails catastrophically, OutSystems can build a new one, to which you can re-publish your applications. You will lose the sample data you might have on the development environment.   

Outside the PaaS, you will have to take charge of managing the backups. A database backup may be enough, as the front-end servers are essentially stateless. 
You may still want to backup your front-end servers, either to simplify the recovery process or to handle any custom configurations that you might have done, that eventually add state to the Front-End. 

By the way, go ahead and start a new thread when you need to. Adding posts to an unrelated thread makes it confusing for others (either those involved in the initial thread or those who read it later).

capsuline wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm having a question along these lines. 
Is it possible to restore a server from LifeTime? 
Or do i need to individually backup all the servers ?
In the case when development server fails ?

capsuline the short answer is no, you can not restore your applications from lifetime, since lifetime does not store a copy of your Applications; eSpaces/Extensions.

On premises: You should consider scheduling a backing up for all servers that you do not want to lose their data, development server, production server etc.
Thanks @Robert Chanphakeo and @Joao Santos,
Very helpful information.