[XML Records] TIP: When you use XMLRecords - working with "Record" and "RecordList"

[XML Records] TIP: When you use XMLRecords - working with "Record" and "RecordList"

Forge Component
(24)
Published on 15 Jun by Ricardo Silva
24 votes
Published on 15 Jun by Ricardo Silva
When you use XMLRecords, make sure to set your variable data type as either a "Record" or a "RecordList"

Do not set up your variable datatype as the actual structure data type (new in 9.0) - it will not work!

True that :)

XML Records was updated to work well with what previously worked, but was not yet updated to provide a semantics for new style records and lists.
When will this be fixed.
I have a very complex xml, which I converted to JSON, so I could import the structures easily.
Now I want to use xmltorecordlist based on that structure....

I am not considering this a bug, but a feature implementation.

Coming up with a reasonable semantics for new style lists is not trivial ( how to represent a list of integers in XML? )

I feel that, while not perfect, the current semantics with Records and Record lists fits the XML format very well.

This is my point of view on this matter, but there are other people marked as XMLRecords developers (including Robert over there ^^) who might feel otherwise and take it upon themselves to tackle this issue. Additionally, the code is open so anyone from the community can feel free to contribute.
IMHO the XMLRecords module needs a good & fresh start.
Gonçalo did his best creating it while XML is something that shouldn't be a module bot straight forward out-of-the-box feature of the plaform.

This would imply features like:
  • XSD Creation
  • XML Example structure
  • Structure mapping
Sure it's not easy to implement but it's time Outsystems makes this easy.
It is NOT a feature of the platform, it's a module thas has been created by one of it's members and maintained by one of it's members.
Maintenance doesn't however imply modernized while it really should be absorbed into Outsystems itself at least if you want to keep calling it an "Enterprise Grade" development platform.

Eric Oud Ammerveld (PS9.1) wrote:

IMHO the XMLRecords module needs a good & fresh start.
Gonçalo did his best creating it while XML is something that shouldn't be a module bot straight forward out-of-the-box feature of the plaform.

This would imply features like:
  • XSD Creation
  • XML Example structure
  • Structure mapping
Sure it's not easy to implement but it's time Outsystems makes this easy.
It is NOT a feature of the platform, it's a module thas has been created by one of it's members and maintained by one of it's members.
Maintenance doesn't however imply modernized while it really should be absorbed into Outsystems itself at least if you want to keep calling it an "Enterprise Grade" development platform.

Agreed!

- Also Null value handling (especially for integers) is very important.