Windows Server 2008 Support

Windows Server 2008 Support

Hi.

I have a customer that has OutSystems Platform for some years and their server has Windows Server 2008 (not R2).
This environment has been upgraded since it's original version till version 9.

From the System Requirements document, OutSystems does not support Windows Server 2008, just the R2 or higher.

Is this problem critical? What can go wrong with Server 2008 instead of R2?
I need to justify a possible upgrade to my client infrastructure, since it will have some costs.
Hi Carlos,
I've been told recently that it really has to be Windows Server 2008 R2.
OutSystems Platform Server requires .Net Framework 4.5.1 or higher and with Windows Server 2008 you can't get that.

This means the Application Runtime simply won't run.
Hi Carlos,

Yes it can go wrong.
We tried to support the non-R2 a couple years ago (when we only supported win 2003) and after a couple of weeks of problems related to IIS in that version, it was decided to just drop it and go directly to 2008 R2.

No version of the platform was ever supported or even tested on that windows version.

Regards,
João Rosado
Tiago Neves wrote:
Hi Carlos,
I've been told recently that it really has to be Windows Server 2008 R2.
OutSystems Platform Server requires .Net Framework 4.5.1 or higher and with Windows Server 2008 you can't get that.

This means the Application Runtime simply won't run.
That is not true. We have .NET Framework 4.5.2 installed in Windows Server 2008 SP2.
You must have Service Pack 2 to support it:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8z6watww%28v=vs.110%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

@ João Rosado
This client has Windows Server 2008 since they started using OutSystems (2009). Windows Server 2008 was the most recent server OS back then, and it was the OS that came with the HP server.
They are still using it, now with platform version 9.0.

So, if possible, they should upgrade it, right?
Carlos,
Ok, I should have been more specific. You can have two types of installation of Windows Server 2008, Full or Server Core, no matter if it's the Standard, Enterprise, or Datacenter editions.
With the Server Core installation this .NET version will not be supported. So you must be running the Full installation.

I think that the thing is that OutSystems doesn't specify that because as João stated it wasn't working properly, and would be too much of a headache just to support that kind of installation on that version.
Server Core mode is not supported by OutSystems, no matter if it this Windows 2008, 2008 R2, 2012 or 2012 R2.
It's the first topic in the Install Checklist.
Carlos,
I didn't explain myself right and I was misleading you, sorry for that.

Let me clarify and expand on my previous words:
1. Windows Server 2008 (Server Core) - The platform server will just not run, among other things there is no support for .NET 4.5 and above.
2. Windows Server 2008 (Full) & Windows Server 2012 (Full & Server Core) & Windows Server 2008 R2 (Server Core) & Windows Server 2012 R2 (Server Core)- The platform server may run, but it's not supported by OutSystems.
4. Windows 2008 R2 (Full) & Windows 2012 R2 (Full) - supported by OutSystems.

I ask that someone can verify. Feel free to correct me, I would like to be certain of this.
Cheers
Yes that is correct.
Hi João,
Thank you for the feedback.
Cheers