how to generate java code 

how to generate java code 

Hi,
i noticed that the service studio generate C# code but i'd like to generate java code how?

Service Studio does not generate code. It's the Platform Server (server component of the OutSystems Platform) that generates the code.

If you installed a .NET Platform Server, you'll have .NET code. If you install a Java Platform server, you get Java code.

In any case, the generated code should be pretty much inconsequential to you. Why do you make it a point to have Java code?
thx Ricardo for your response
I'm still very much a beginner , and I’d like to know if I can create application using service studio and get the source code of the created application in java to be able to use it in other application or adding more functionality 
or ....?

Solution
No, you can't.

applications generated by the OutSystems Platform are meant to be used specifically for that server and are not prepared to be moved to other servers. You will always be required to have the OutSystems Platform running in order to use Service Studio to generate your applications.

It is possible to detach your existing code from the OutSystems Platform, but that option is only available to you when you wish to leave the OutSystems Platform and not be an OutSystems customer anymore. After this, you'll be able to maintain and evolve your code directly in Java.

Please note that the value proposition from the OutSystems Platform is that using the platform you will be so much more productive that you won't want to build code the old-fashioned way anymore :)
Solution
it's clear now 
thank you very much :)

Ricardo Silva wrote:

No, you can't.

applications generated by the OutSystems Platform are meant to be used specifically for that server and are not prepared to be moved to other servers. You will always be required to have the OutSystems Platform running in order to use Service Studio to generate your applications.

It is possible to detach your existing code from the OutSystems Platform, but that option is only available to you when you wish to leave the OutSystems Platform and not be an OutSystems customer anymore. After this, you'll be able to maintain and evolve your code directly in Java.

Please note that the value proposition from the OutSystems Platform is that using the platform you will be so much more productive that you won't want to build code the old-fashioned way anymore :)

Hi Ricardo,

I want to ask you the same that the other guy, it's impossible to view the generated code of OutSystems Service Studio? I want to do a web application but i want to see the generated code, does not exist any form of view this code? 

Thanks,

Jordi.

You can check the code that is generated by accessing the server and checking the "share" folder for your module. You cannot do this from Service Studio.

BEWARE! This code is there for internal platform use and may not be ready for consumption by humans.

Ricardo Silva wrote:

You can check the code that is generated by accessing the server and checking the "share" folder for your module. You cannot do this from Service Studio.

BEWARE! This code is there for internal platform use and may not be ready for consumption by humans.

Hi Ricardo,

Sorry about the questions hehe, i'm rookie. Well, i'm in this page, on my clod in OutSystems, where i see that you are saying to me? 

Thank you very much,

Jordi.

You don't have direct access to the servers in the OutSystems Cloud (be it the free or enterprise offers), so you will not be able to directly access this information.

You can, however, go to Service Center ( https://<your_server>.outsystemscloud.com/ServiceCenter/ ) > Administration > Licensing > eSpaces Source Code and start the No Lock-In Tutorial in Service Studio in order to have a glimpse of what the code for an example application looks like. (This code is a bit readier for human consumption than the one I mentioned earlier)

Ricardo Silva wrote:

You don't have direct access to the servers in the OutSystems Cloud (be it the free or enterprise offers), so you will not be able to directly access this information.

You can, however, go to Service Center ( https://<your_server>.outsystemscloud.com/ServiceCenter/ ) > Administration > Licensing > eSpaces Source Code and start the No Lock-In Tutorial in Service Studio in order to have a glimpse of what the code for an example application looks like. (This code is a bit readier for human consumption than the one I mentioned earlier)

Hi Ricardo,

Okay, i see the image that i send you now. But, when i download the file, it open on Service Studio and i can't see anything, i can do anything else? 

Thanks, 

Jordi.

You do not seem to have followed the instructions I sent you.

You need to go to Service Center, Click on the Administration  tab on the top, click on the Licensing link below it, click on the eSpaces Source Code link, and then click the No Lock-in tutorial to start the tutorial in your Service Studio which will guide you through the process of obtaining the code generated for a sample application.

You will not be able to perform this on your own application, you'll have to use the example application from the tutorial.

Ricardo Silva wrote:

You do not seem to have followed the instructions I sent you.

You need to go to Service Center, Click on the Administration  tab on the top, click on the Licensing link below it, click on the eSpaces Source Code link, and then click the No Lock-in tutorial to start the tutorial in your Service Studio which will guide you through the process of obtaining the code generated for a sample application.

You will not be able to perform this on your own application, you'll have to use the example application from the tutorial.

Hi Ricardo,

It's happens in the paid version too? or only in the free version? 

Thanks,

Jordi.

Hi Jordi,

First, you replied to a topic that was already almost there years old, which is considered bad form - next time check the date of last reply, and create a new topic if it's older than say a month or two. Secondly, why are you so obsessed with looking at the code? It's auto-generated code, it follows your Service Studio model quite closely, why do you want to see it? Also, Ricardo graciously answered a lot of your questions, he gave you very specific instructions you didn't care to follow, only to ask another set of questions Ricardo already answered.

I would strongly advise you to stop persuing this, it won't lead to anything useful.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Jordi,

First, you replied to a topic that was already almost there years old, which is considered bad form - next time check the date of last reply, and create a new topic if it's older than say a month or two. Secondly, why are you so obsessed with looking at the code? It's auto-generated code, it follows your Service Studio model quite closely, why do you want to see it? Also, Ricardo graciously answered a lot of your questions, he gave you very specific instructions you didn't care to follow, only to ask another set of questions Ricardo already answered.

I would strongly advise you to stop persuing this, it won't lead to anything useful.

Hi Kilian,

I'm not obsessed, but I'm going to start an a big project and we need to know and keep track of the code application we are developing, anything else. If I have bothered, I'm sorry, but you have to understand that the code is something important to follow that you are doing the application, thanks.

Jordi.

Hi Jordi,

It seems you haven't really given in to the Low Code paradigm that OutSystems supports. The only "code" you need is the OMLs that contain the OutSystems "code", and they are available and managed in LifeTime and Service Center. I really feel you are still too much thinking the "old way" of having to deal with .cs files and version management etc.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Jordi,

It seems you haven't really given in to the Low Code paradigm that OutSystems supports. The only "code" you need is the OMLs that contain the OutSystems "code", and they are available and managed in LifeTime and Service Center. I really feel you are still too much thinking the "old way" of having to deal with .cs files and version management etc.

Hi Kilian,

Okay, all right. Another question, there are any posibiltity to work in a personal server or it's necesary work in a server of OutSystems? 

Thanks, 

Jordi.

Hi Jordi,

There's basically three flavours of the Platform: the personal environment, which is a cloud environment (hosted by Amazon) managed by OutSystems. It's meant for entry level stuff, basically to get a taste of what the Platform can do; a PaaS solution, which is a commercially licenced cloud solution (also hosted by Amazon and managed by OS); and finally an on-premise solution, also commercially licenced, and hosted wherever you want.

So to answer your question, yes, it is possible to install the Platform on a server that you control, as long as the Platform's system requirements are met. In practice, you'd probably want at least two production servers, one hosting the Platform and IIS, the other containing the database, alongside one or more non-production servers (development, test, pre-prod etc.).