Does Outsystems 9 support Visual Studio 2012?

Hi Gerry,

The system requirements for Integration Studio says "Visual Studio 2010 or higher".
Integration Studio in Platform 9 curently detects and was tested with 2010, 2012 and 2013.

Regards,
João Rosado
Hi Gerry,

It's more the other way around... Visual Studio 2012 is able to develop for OutSystems as long as you target the right .NET framework.
In case of Platform 9 Amsterdam, you need to develop on Visual Studio by targeting a version of Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1 or higher - for OutSystems doesn't make a difference which version of Visual Studio you're using, but 4.5.1 is the minimum required by OutSystems on Platform 9 Amsterdam.

I can add that .NET 4.5.1 is supported on Visual Studio 2012, 2013 and 2015.

Hi,

Actually, it is not a requirement that the target framework is set to 4.5.1.
The default of new extensions is still set to 3.5 (so the minimum there is VS 2010), but can be changed up to 4.5.1 (not "or higher").

Regards,
João Rosado
João,

In the case of the Amsterdam Platform, shouldn't I develop an extension targeting at least .NET 4.5.1? I know Integration Studio supports previous versions but I need to target depending on the platform version the extensions will be running on, right?
You don't need to worry much about it, since .Net is backward compatible (apart from very few/rare breaking changes) a dll targetting 3.5 will run correctly at 4.5.1.

But yes, it's good to change it to the latest version supported, as it will allow you to use any of the new .Net features.

These defaults/requiments on this will most likelly change on the next major release.
They were left like that in Platform 9 to reduce the amount of requiments that were being changed at once and keeping the upgrade cost lower.

Regards,
João Rosado
The only right answer is: It depends... :) Every case situation needs some thought.
My practise is going to the latest version supported, but the damn legacy sometimes gets the better of me.

Thank you for the feedback.

Regards,
Tiago Neves

I've confirmed that VS 12 works just fine
You should use the free visual studio 2013 community edition (or higher)

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/vs2013-community-vs.aspx