managing users,groups,roles without referring users epsace

managing users,groups,roles without referring users epsace

Hi,

I have created a new espace which has entities related to users,groups,roles information.I want to make this espace as a reference to all other espaces for managing the users information similar to how Users espace is used by other applications.

To make use of this new espace in another  test espace application,I have set the property:"User Provider espace" of the test espace to the one which has users information.After that when I create a new role in test espace and the input parameter:UserId of the action:CreateXYZRole() role is till referring to Users espace "user" entity(User Identifier)

How can I remove the refernece to Users espace so that the parameter:"UserId" in CreateXYZRole() should be refering to my entity(My_User)?

Thanks,
Prashanth

Hi All,

Can anyone help me on this issue?

Thanks,
Prashanth
Hi All,

Can anyone know on how to manage users information such as roles,groups,users etc without depending on Users espace application?

Thanks,
Prashanth
Hi Prashanth,

Actually the Users/Roles/Group entities do not belong to the Users eSpace.
They are all from the "(System)" reference. The User's eSpace is only a set of Interface pages, actions and "User Provider" behavior.

By being a "User Provider" it means that all those entities will be segmented automatically to all Modules that have your eSpace as User provider.

It is not recommended that you create a different set of entities to do the same thing, or you lose all the Login and Roles control given by the platform.
What you can do if you want more information in the user is to create extension entities, where the Id on your entity is of type "User Indentifier" from the "(System)" Users entity.

That way when you create Users/Roles/Groups you still use the entities from the system and extend them with any extra information you need on your extension entities (that have a 1to1 relationship to them).

Regards,
João Rosado
João Rosado wrote:
Hi Prashanth,

Actually the Users/Roles/Group entities do not belong to the Users eSpace.
They are all from the "(System)" reference. The User's eSpace is only a set of Interface pages, actions and "User Provider" behavior.

By being a "User Provider" it means that all those entities will be segmented automatically to all Modules that have your eSpace as User provider.

It is not recommended that you create a different set of entities to do the same thing, or you lose all the Login and Roles control given by the platform.
What you can do if you want more information in the user is to create extension entities, where the Id on your entity is of type "User Indentifier" from the "(System)" Users entity.

That way when you create Users/Roles/Groups you still use the entities from the system and extend them with any extra information you need on your extension entities (that have a 1to1 relationship to them).

Regards,
João Rosado
 Hi Rosado,

Thanks for the reply.I understood from you that users/roles/groups related tables are from System reference.
Let me explain my current requiremnet.Please help me on this.

I have created an  espace called "ActiveDirectory" which is not refering "User provider" espace at all.I have set  a property:"User Provider espace" as current espace to this epsace .In this espace I have imported an external extension created on my own  which has LDAP authentication and other functionalities such as
getting  users from a specific LDAP group,add/remove users from that group.

I have created another espace called "AD_POC" which now refers my "ActiveDirectory" espace by setting the property :"User provider espace"  of this espace to "ActiveDirectory".

Now I want to fetch the groups assigned to users present in "ActiveDirectory" espace into "AD_POC" espace in such a way that the group should appear in webscreen properties similar to how the roles are seen in webscreen in the form of "Checkbox" so that I want to provide access to page only if the user is part of the group.

Please help me on this.

Thanks,
Prashanth
Hello Prashanth,

Why do you want to do this without referring the OutSystems Platform Users management entities?

From my point of vew, the way of doing this is:

1) map AD groups to OutSystems Platform Groups
2) map users from AD Groups into the platform groups you created
3) grant each group the desired roles for that group
4) have your module defined using the OutSystems Platform roles on screens and whatnot

This would seemlessly integrate your AD structure into the OutSystems Platform. You also don't need to use a new User Provider. You can use Users to manage the logins and have a different eSpace making these mappings into groups on top of the Users User provider.

Why do you want to go the hard path ?

Best regards,
Ricardo Silva
Ricardo Silva wrote:
Hello Prashanth,

Why do you want to do this without referring the OutSystems Platform Users management entities?

From my point of vew, the way of doing this is:

1) map AD groups to OutSystems Platform Groups
2) map users from AD Groups into the platform groups you created
3) grant each group the desired roles for that group
4) have your module defined using the OutSystems Platform roles on screens and whatnot

This would seemlessly integrate your AD structure into the OutSystems Platform. You also don't need to use a new User Provider. You can use Users to manage the logins and have a different eSpace making these mappings into groups on top of the Users User provider.

Why do you want to go the hard path ?

Best regards,
Ricardo Silva
 Hi Ricardo,

Thanks for the reply.

I have created similar kind of tables tables which we have in "System" espace by creating a foreignkey on my tables in an "Sample" esapce application.These tables extends the "System" related  tables and you can find the extended tables as an attachment.

Now I am fetching the groups/roles from my LDAP AD and inserting  a row each in "System" tables(Role/Group)
and my tables(RoleExtended/GroupExtended).My "sample" esapce now has all the information related to roles/groups in my extended tables as well as in "System" tables.

Now I want to see the role which I have created and maintained  in "Sample" espace extended tables in another esapce called: "AD_POC" which consumes the "Sample" esapce as an  "User Provider".i.e I have set "User Provider espace" property of "AD_POC" to "Sample".But still I cannot see the role in "AD_POC" under webscreen properties.

Please let me know why I am not able to see the role/groups in this "AD_POC" esapce.

Thanks,
Prashanth

Hi Prashanth,

Roles are created and managed by the platform when you publish the modules. You cannot create Roles directly in the Roles entity.
Roles must be added manually in the Modules.

Then in your manage module you can create/modify the records in Users, Group, Group_User, User_Role and Group_Role. In order to associate the correct roles to Users and/or Groups.

Regards,
João Rosado