Support for remote commands on Linux systems

Support for remote commands on Linux systems

Hi guys,

I was wondering whether any of you has a proper way to integrate with a linux server.
From the linux p.o.v. the way to go would be SSH.

From the development level p.o.v. it would more be something like REST webservices.
I would like to create / have an application in outsystems that fills the gap.
(Providing REST webservices while communicating through SSH trough Linux / UNIX systems using remote commands and capturing the response to these commands)

This so we can manage those servers from an Outsystems interface.

Any ideas for Extensions / example implementations?

Cheers,

Eric
You don't need me to tell you wat a huge security risk this could potentially pose, right? :)

That said, you could probably run Apache or the like on the Linux server, and communicate with that?
Kilian Hekhuis wrote:
You don't need me to tell you wat a huge security risk this could potentially pose, right? :)

That said, you could probably run Apache or the like on the Linux server, and communicate with that?
Hi Kilian,

Thanks for your reply and your concern; too much developers mess around with too much data without keeping security in mind.
It's something that should be addressed in any type op communication.

Security risks are always there, especially when you don't know how to contain remote commands, don't restrict the type of commands to be executed and fail to validate, constrain and secure your connection and sent parameters.

A rest webservice without at least Authentication / Authorisation and a 1 on 1 ssl connection ofcourse isn't the way-to-go; even if it's internal communications only; the "proper way" part in my question kind of aims at that type of connection.
Ofcourse if the webservice is as open as a webservice returning a Country description when pushed a ISO country code that's a risk you might consider taking; but probably not the one you do in a Linux shell. ;)

I'm not sure if Apache would be the preferable webserver since the amount of requests could be high and might need a quick response.
NGINX will probably be more suitable and produce less load but I thought maybe there someone that knows a secure webserver with the ability to run scripts in a contained manner which are offered as a (REST) webservice.

Should you have other idea's on creating a secure way of handling maintenance tasks between Windows and Linux through Outsystems I'd like to know. :)

Cheers,

Eric

Matthias Preuter wrote:
There are several options to do SSH in .NET:

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for your reply.
I'll jump into those options and see which one suits best.

P.S.: I missed you at the nextstep; did you forgot to put it in your agenda? ;)

This is also a - well documented - component that i have used before to perform some FTP over SSH procedures.

http://www.chilkatsoft.com/ssh-sftp-component.asp
Thanks!

It kind of blows my mind that Microsoft hasn't put a development team on creating their own implementation since I heard they're going to use SSH for their Powershell too.
This is promising:
http://tweakers.net/nieuws/103468/windows-krijgt-ondersteuning-voor-ssh.html
mmm... "In de aankondiging schrijft het PowerShell-team dat twee keer eerder is gepoogd om ssh in te bouwen in Windows, maar dat beide implementaties werden afgewezen."

translation:

"The PowerShell team previously tried to build ssh in Windows twice , but both implementations were rejected.`
Ik blijf hopen; de maan is ook pas in de 11e poging bereikt op 12 September 1959... ;)