Beacons/BLE

Is there a plug-in or method to include ibeacon proximity in the business logic?

Many thanks.
Hi Colin,

In order to integrate your OutSystems applications with the iBeacon technology you will need to use OutSystems Now.

OutSystems Now is a native application for iOS, Android and Windows, which brings you a single point of access to your OutSystems environment, empowering your applications with native features available on your mobile device.

Currently OutSystems Now doesn’t integrate with iBeacon technology out of the box. However, OutSystems Now is based on Cordova and there’s a set of Cordova Plugins for the iBeacon technology that you can use to extend OutSystems Now and integrate with this technology. We have plans to test these in the mid-term, but we don’t have a date for when this will happen yet.

To learn more about the OutSystems Now’s source code and how to add a new plugin on it, please check the documentation available here.

Here’s the link for the iBeacon plugin (we haven’t tested yet).

Cheers,

Luis Silva
Thanks Luis, very helpful.
Thanks!

Luís Silva wrote:

Hi Colin,

In order to integrate your OutSystems applications with the iBeacon technology you will need to use OutSystems Now.

OutSystems Now is a native application for iOS, Android and Windows, which brings you a single point of access to your OutSystems environment, empowering your applications with native features available on your mobile device.

Currently OutSystems Now doesn’t integrate with iBeacon technology out of the box. However, OutSystems Now is based on Cordova and there’s a set of Cordova Plugins for the iBeacon technology that you can use to extend OutSystems Now and integrate with this technology. We have plans to test these in the mid-term, but we don’t have a date for when this will happen yet.

To learn more about the OutSystems Now’s source code and how to add a new plugin on it, please check the documentation available here.

Here’s the link for the iBeacon plugin (we haven’t tested yet).

Cheers,

Luis Silva

Hi Luis,

Outsystems Now already support the iBeacon Plugin? I tried to use it with iOS to test my application but never been lucky with it. 

It's possible that this plugin steel dosen't work?

Regards,

Seruya

Hello Seruya,

Since 2015 there have been many changes in OutSystems. You can now generate mobile apps for Android and iOS with your desired plugins (Cordova-based).

There's already an iBeacon Plugin available on Forge that supports both Android and iOS. Did you try to use it? Follow the guide on using a component made by the community.

Regards,
Pedro

Pedro Sousa wrote:

Hello Seruya,

Since 2015 there have been many changes in OutSystems. You can now build your own mobile apps for Android and iOS with your desired plugins (Cordova-based).

There's already an iBeacon Plugin available on Forge that supports both Android and iOS. Did you try to use it? Follow the guide on using a component made by the community.

Regards,
Pedro

Hi Sousa,

Yes I have been using the iBeacon Plugin as you refer. But when I run the test on the app Outsystem Now I always have the same "Error IBeacons, there was an error processing you request" and the cause could the this problem. This plugin dosen't work in the iOS App?

Hello Seruya,

OutSystems Now includes a closed set of plugins that support many use cases, but the iBeacon Plugin is not one of them. 

Therefore, you must generate your native mobile app and install it on your iOS device (make sure you are fulfilling the requirements for doing development tests in an iOS device) to be able to test the iBeacon functionality.

Regards,
Pedro