Browser window not visible when launching through an extension

Browser window not visible when launching through an extension

Hi OS Community,

I did a very simple console application in C#. It uses Selenium2. It works fine.
<code>
using System;
using OpenQA.Selenium;
using OpenQA.Selenium.Chrome;
using OpenQA.Selenium.Support.UI;

namespace mySelenium
{
    class Program
    {
        static void Main(string[] args)
        {
            IWebDriver driver = new ChromeDriver(@"C:\TRACE");
            driver.Navigate().GoToUrl("http://www.wintrust.pt");

IWebElement elem = null;

elem = driver.FindElement(By.Name("key"));
            elem.Clear();
            elem.SendKeys("FORMA");
            elem = driver.FindElement(By.ClassName("search-btn"));
            elem.Click();

driver.Quit();
        }
    }
}
</code>

When I place this conde inside an Extension (xif) the browser window is not visible (and I get the error that the element "key" is not present).

Is this a security issue? Are XIF capable of launching external apps?
What should I do?

Thanks
Antonio
Hi,

do you get errors?
are you on the server itself to see the browser-window popping up?
perhaps it's a simple rights issue?

Hi,

Yes, you can lauch processes from an extension.
No, it won't display a window since the IIS process cannot interact with the desktop.

It was possible to change that up to Windows 2003, but as far as I know it is no longer possible in Windows 2008+
We actually had some processes launching console windows in out test machines in the past for debugging purposes and had to replace all that code for psexec calls to external programs (and forcing a console session Id in the psexec call) in order to see the windows appear.
João Rosado wrote:
Hi,

Yes, you can lauch processes from an extension.
No, it won't display a window since the IIS process cannot interact with the desktop.

It was possible to change that up to Windows 2003, but as far as I know it is no longer possible in Windows 2008+
We actually had some processes launching console windows in out test machines in the past for debugging purposes and had to replace all that code for psexec calls to external programs (and forcing a console session Id in the psexec call) in order to see the windows appear.
 Hi João,

It did work as you said: I allowed IIS service to interact with desktop (it's a Win Svr 2003) and the browser window appeard!
Thanks.

Regards.
António

PS-By "psexec" you mean "Process_StartExecution" action from ProcessAutomator extension?

Hi,

By "psexec" I meant the tool from Microsoft Sysinternals: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553.aspx
It is normally used to start processes in remote machines ...but technically it actually can also start a process in the same machine (note that it requires explicitly providing a valid username/password and for Windows 2008+ the [session] parameter of the -i flag is not optional as they have documented).

Regards,
João Rosado

Thanks.

BR,
António