Multilingual

Hi,

I am trying to build an app which would work in several different languages. I looked through the forums and I found out about the SetCurrentLoacale action which would allow me to change it to different languages. I tried using this action but the only thing that the action is able to translate is the number of records next to the pagination. Am I missing anything? Is it possible to convert the data I have into another language?
Hello Archit,

under the Interface in Service Studio you have a folder named "Multilingual Locales". If you right click on it, you can add your Locales and your translations.

Best regards,
Idálio Véstias
Do I have to add my translations on my own or does the action translate itself?
and also will I be able to translate my data as well?
Archit Yadav wrote:
Do I have to add my translations on my own or does the action translate itself?
 Hello,

You must translate yourself. If helps you can import the translation as resource.

Archit Yadav wrote:
and also will I be able to translate my data as well?
 As far as I know it's not able to translate the data.

Regards

Hi there Archit,

I was reading through the thread and I thougth that maybe a summary of all the multi-language capabilities and patterns would be in order to better help you and others with the same question.

Building multi-language applications is possible. OutSystems Platform allows the translation of apps into multiple different languages (internationalization). A default language is used for design and execution by default, which is then translated. OutSystems also supports right-to-left rendering and Unicode. A more in-depth overview here.

About your specific questions:
  • It's quite simple to translate resources - check out the reference documentation here...
  • To translate data - there isn't specifc automation for this, but it would be quite easy to scaffold a backoffice to help you out. I can't seem to find a recommended pattern to implement it, but I've seen a few implementations where you create 'translation tables' that hold the translated versions (attributes) of other tables. And then you can filter the data to be displayed based on the user's locale.
There's a public example on OutSystems web-site for a company called Van Ameyde. They have built a solution that is translated to 12 different languages.

Does it help?

Cheers!