Local Variables - Local to the device or server-side?

Local Variables - Local to the device or server-side?

Are local variables local to the device being used or are the variables located server side?

If I lost my data connection, would the app continue to interact with a previously created local variable or would it throw an error?
Hi Jared,

Not sure why where the variables are would make a difference.
If you are without connection and call an action that will execute in the server, it will give a connection error trying to execute the action. After the connection has been reestablished it will start working again.

Can you explain a bit more what you are trying to do?

Regards,
João Rosado
Dynamicly generated controls based on data pulled from the database.

If I bound my controls to fields in a local variable, as opposed to a number of values stored in Session, and I'm working offline, does changing the values work properly or will it throw that connection error?
Solution
Hi Jared,

It will work fine while you are just changing the values on the page and/or javascript.
All the binding is done on server side, so it will only be done if you have On Change events associated with the inputs or click Buttons/Links. At that point you will need a active server connection.

That said, for your example having them bound to local variables is exactly the same as bound to Session variables.

Regards,
João Rosado
Solution
Okay, good to know, thanks.

Edit:

Actually, one more question.  When do local variables expire?  Is it related to the IIS' session time out?  Or is it when the page is navigated from?  Or both?
Hi,

No they do not expire (well they kinda do when you change the page ..). They are stored on viewstate, so they are kept in your page state and sent to the server when necessary.
You can read more about it here: http://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/10458/view-state-in-outsystems-applications/
And also some mentions in the Architecture of generated apps page (search for "view state")

Regards,
João Rosado