Do inputs on web blocks count toward the input limit?

Do inputs on web blocks count toward the input limit?

Hey folks,

I'm currently working on a huge form that has hit the IIS input limit (more details here). Due to its size, the screen was already rather slow and in need of a redesign.

Now, we are thinking of splitting it up into either several pages or splitting it up into web blocks and loading them depending on the context. If the inputs on a web block still count toward the input limit of the parent page, however, this isn't a solution. I haven't really found anything on this, so if anyone can shed some light it'd be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,
Robrecht
Hi,

The limit that you hit it's the size of the URL?
If the answer is yes, you need to make a review to all inputs and check if there's another way to get them.
Hey, thanks for the reply! 

I'm not sure if it's the URL size - I don't have access to the IIS logs. It's possible, but I believe it has to do with the input limit since it also triggers on POST. 

Kind regards,
Robrecht
well, input limits on posts are there as well.
but we are talking about 1000+ inputs...
(which you can also increase btw)

I would seriously rethink the design if they take up more than 1000 inputs...

J. wrote:
well, input limits on posts are there as well.
but we are talking about 1000+ inputs...
(which you can also increase btw)

I would seriously rethink the design if they take up more than 1000 inputs...

Thanks for the reply :) there aren't 1000 inputs exactly, it's just the viewstate that has grown too large.We are planning a redesign, but we're unsure of the direction to take (either split parts up in webblocks or in different webscreens) - hence the question, but I'm working on a test page that should answer it when finished. I'll make sure to post my findings here. 

Solution
I forgot to answer your question..

yes, webblocks are just pieces on the server-side, it all combines into 1 big page.
that said, viewstate getting too large, how many session variables do you have?
do you have records, lists in your session variables?

Solution
J. wrote:
I forgot to answer your question..

yes, webblocks are just pieces on the server-side, it all combines into 1 big page.
that said, viewstate getting too large, how many session variables do you have?
do you have records, lists in your session variables?

I just had a look at the session variables and there are indeed quite a lot. Most of them are for search keywords but there are a few record lists indeed. I've discussed this with an analyst and I'll have a look at cleaning that up after I fix this form (which is my current priority). 

I can also confirm what you said - the input of a web block counts towards the limit of the parent page. 
If people are interested, I can share my method of testing.

Thanks for all the help,
Robrecht