Implementing Multi-Tenancy on Existing Application

Implementing Multi-Tenancy on Existing Application

Hi All,

Our customers wanted to have a multi-tenancy in place on their application. The problem is, this is already a PROD grade instance and is currently being used. I was able to configure OutSystem's Multi-tenancy in our application but I was during design phase.

Any considerations I need to note given this requirement?

Regards,
JC
Hi JC Elorde,

You should change the application in DEV according to the requirements of the customer.
Test the application if it works like it should and create a bootstrap action which moves the records around and places the records in the correct tenant.

The only thing you need to worry about is if you are currently able to identify on the current database setup, how you would split the tenants and if the data needed to move the records to the correct tenant is already available in the current database.

If this information is currently not available, you should create a bootstrap that adds this data to the records before implementing the Multi-Tenant change.

Kind regards,
Hi Remco,

Clarifications though:

1. "you should create a bootstrap that adds this data to the records before implementing the Multi-Tenant change"

Should it be implement the Multi-tenancy first, have OutSystems create the TenantId field and populate this field later on via bootstrap? Though I haven't tried it, I am just thinking that creating the field beforehand will have a duplicate OS generated field when multi-tenancy becomes enabled.

2. Other than the TenantId field and bootstrapping the data, any other design or implementation considerations?

Regards,
JC