List_LateLoad doesn't work in web block

List_LateLoad doesn't work in web block

Hey folks,

I'm supporting an application that has a monster of a page (a colleague has said that he thinks it holds the world record for most variables and actions in an OutSystems page) and, for performance reasons, we're trying to split it up into webblocks.
This has shaved some time off the prep time, but I've run into another issue: one of the web blocks relies heavily on List_LateLoad. However, I can't seem to get them to trigger - if I want to load the data, I have to move the LateLoad logic into the preparation, which slows down the whole page load again. Does anyone know why I can't seem to trigger LateLoad in a web block? Is it possible? 

Many thanks in advance,
Robrecht

Robrecht -

1. It may not actually run in a Web Block, but I am *pretty* sure that it should. If not, there are workarounds (put a piece of JavaScript in the Block which just clicks a hidden link, that link is tied to the action you want to Late Load... the JS will run on the initial load/re-load, click the link and do the same think that Late Load does).

2. I think you are badly fooling yourself about this page. The "performance reasons" you cite is the viewstate which has gotten too big. Splitting the page into blocks does NOT improve the "performance" it is allowing you to make even WORSE performance. You are going to end up with a monster page which performs very, very poorly for users. Every. Single. Time. I have seen a development team split a page up to avoid viewstate issues, the users hated the screen. Why?

* It performed badly. Too heavy on the page weight, too many widgets for the browser to render, too much CSS, too much JavaScript. Too much server side processing to put this beast together.

* Too complicated to use. All of those variables and stuff are leading to a ton of items on the screen. No one will be able to use this screen.

It is my strong recommendation that you take a step back and reevaluate this screen, hopefully with a second person with UI/UX design experience to help you make a better screen.

Again, I have NEVER seen a screen that hit the viewstate limit end up being a screen that users liked or understood. Your screen may be the exception, but my experience leads me to think that it probably isn't.

I yell at the people in my company *all the time* for this. Every time they have re-written a screen completely everyone comes out happier.

J.Ja

Justin James wrote:

Robrecht -

1. It may not actually run in a Web Block, but I am *pretty* sure that it should. If not, there are workarounds (put a piece of JavaScript in the Block which just clicks a hidden link, that link is tied to the action you want to Late Load... the JS will run on the initial load/re-load, click the link and do the same think that Late Load does).

2. I think you are badly fooling yourself about this page. The "performance reasons" you cite is the viewstate which has gotten too big. Splitting the page into blocks does NOT improve the "performance" it is allowing you to make even WORSE performance. You are going to end up with a monster page which performs very, very poorly for users. Every. Single. Time. I have seen a development team split a page up to avoid viewstate issues, the users hated the screen. Why?

* It performed badly. Too heavy on the page weight, too many widgets for the browser to render, too much CSS, too much JavaScript. Too much server side processing to put this beast together.

* Too complicated to use. All of those variables and stuff are leading to a ton of items on the screen. No one will be able to use this screen.

It is my strong recommendation that you take a step back and reevaluate this screen, hopefully with a second person with UI/UX design experience to help you make a better screen.

Again, I have NEVER seen a screen that hit the viewstate limit end up being a screen that users liked or understood. Your screen may be the exception, but my experience leads me to think that it probably isn't.

I yell at the people in my company *all the time* for this. Every time they have re-written a screen completely everyone comes out happier.

J.Ja

J. Ja, 

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you that the viewstate is too large, the application is clunky and already slow (and data seems to suggest that web blocks indeed isn't improving the performance). 
The issue is that this application has been in use and development for 5+ years - it's a ticketing system - and while most users know how it works, it has just grown to be ridiculously big. 

Users are fairly unsatisfied with this page, which is why this application is being phased out - I'm supporting it until it hits end of life (or at least until the end of the year), after which it'll be replaced. 

The performance issue  is two-fold, though - the split screen will be faster for new tickets because tons of items that would be loaded but invisible in the normal screen would just not be in memory now. However, once two additional blocks are loaded, it becomes a lot slower. Either way, looking at the data the performance improvement for new tickets is negligible, but the performance hit for existing tickets is too great to continue down this path. 

Many thanks for your insights :)

Robrecht