Offline Capability- Help needed

Offline Capability- Help needed

Hello,

I am fairly new to configuring OS offline feature for my app and would like to get some help in designing a seamless, robust application having offline capability, at the same time preserving the advantages of online server side interactions.

My exposure to offline configuration is limited to this article- http://apps.outsystems.com/Offline/

If i try to implement using the article's mentioned steps, i would miss all the nice features (list sort, page refresh and other server side validations) when the app is online. Hence i was trying to create separate pages for offline access mimicking the original pages with simple functions like add, delete and read functions and providing a disclaimer/notification to user that the system in this mode (offline) is limited in its capabilities.

So, I need help in validating is this a good approach. If so, how to redirect the users to respective pages based on the connectivity mode?

1. Is there a key-word/boolean variable to check for Online/Offline mode and redirect users to respective pages?
  2. Is there any possibility to create a separate offline module at the application level and direct the system to use one of the modules as "Home" based on connectivity?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hello,

Going offline with P9 is not an easy task. However, the new version (P10) that will be released next month really simpifies the offline part. If you can, I'd propose to make your life a lot easier and try writing the app in P10. Is that an option?

Kurt Vandevelde wrote:

Hello,

Going offline with P9 is not an easy task. However, the new version (P10) that will be released next month really simpifies the offline part. If you can, I'd propose to make your life a lot easier and try writing the app in P10. Is that an option?

Hello Kurt,

Thank you so much for the information. Perhaps, for time being, I shall create a separate application for offline access using the original app's data model, directing users to use the offline app when there is no connectivity. Hope this works as a short term soln. But I will readily switch to your suggestion once the #10 version did release. Thanks.

Kurt Vandevelde wrote:

Hello,

This is good new! I am waiting for it