[Google Maps Mobile] Getting a map with the location in offline mode

[Google Maps Mobile] Getting a map with the location in offline mode

Forge Component
Published on 6 Oct (2 weeks ago) by OutSystems Labs
2 votes
Published on 6 Oct (2 weeks ago) by OutSystems Labs

Hi there,

Following some exploratory development of the mobile version to work offline, we have been confronted with a question for which we ask your help.

We intend to enter an address and that that address is shown in a map (like Google Maps) with the location of the inserted address. Our idea is to do this with application working offline, only using the GPS of the mobile phone. 

However, we did not achieve this without the use of Internet, only managing to translate GPS coordinates of the indicated address if we have an Internet connection.

Is there any way we can accomplish this without access to the Internet?

Thank you

Hi Diogo,

Our Google Maps Mobile component uses the Google Maps JS API, which does not support offline operation. The API script itself is downloaded from the Google servers every time it is used, and failing to do so is against their Terms of Use.

Converting addresses to coordinates is also an online service.

So as far as I'm aware you can't use the Google Maps JS API to support your use case, and by extension this component.

That's not to say that there is no alternative, maybe one that does not use Google Maps. There may be, but I'm not familiar with it.

Thank you very much for your help Daniel.

As you said, we are only getting success with Internet, because converting coordinates is an online service. 

We haven´t found a way to do that without Internet access. 

On a final note Diogo, from your description this doesn't apply to your use case but I'll throw it out there anyway.

On a previous project I have worked with publicly available geocoding databases, with some success. However, the database I worked with contained only cities and countries. If you're looking to convert home addresses this wouldn't help you much.

Also, even with only cities and countries, this was a pretty massive DB, which might pose a problem for you as it would consume a lot of local storage.

If this interests you though, feel free to PM me.