Is creation of PDFs a native feature of the OutSystems Platform

Is creation of PDFs a native feature of the OutSystems Platform

Hi, I come from a VB.Net (WinForms) background and am just starting my journey of using OutSystems to create web based applications that scale across devices etc. Right now I'm using the free hosted account to create some simple apps just for testing. For almost every dot net app that I create, there is a need to create PDFs/Word documents (reports, mail-merge etc), but I find no examples of producing PDFs in the tutorials. There is some mention of buying components but these only seems to apply to the on-premise version of the server. In dot net, I use Aspose Words/Cells components. Am I missing something?

You can search in the forge for components that create PDF and Words.

Thanks, do you have any links to any examples of using a component like this? It seems such a common requirements these days, it is hard to understand why outsystems don't seem to provide any tutorials (or perhaps I haven't looked hard enough!)

Just go to the forge and search by PDF http://www.outsystems.com/forge/#category=&order=&s=PDF

Thanks, but this seems to want to download something. Surely if my application is hosted by outsystems then I can not add these. This is why I'm asking if there is any native support for producing PDFs?

HTML to PDF converter is the best option I have seen for this http://www.outsystems.com/forge/component/209/html2pdfconverter/

Thank you, but I'm still not clear how forge components can be used on the Personal Environment?

You can do this 2 ways:

1) In your environment click on the top left button "outsystems" where you can search for the component and install directly into your environment

2) Search online, download the component and install it in your environment by Enviroment -> Open File

Then in your application you can reference these components using the "Manage Dependencies" button on the top left (looks like 3 balls connected by 2 lines) and selecting what you wish to use.  

I would recommend watching the training videos on http://www.outsystems.com/academy/14/mastering-outsystems/ to see how this is done.

Dan

Martin,

Forge components are open source components created by Outsystems and Outsystems users for use by anyone using the platform, including personal environments.  Just search for the component (as described previously), download it and run it and it should install in your environment.  Once installed, you have full access to the component to make changes to suit you particular application or you can just learn by looking at the code.

Once the component is installed you can reference it by right-clicking in the object tree of your eSpace (on the right) and click Add/Remove References.  A dialog box will appear (be patient - it takes a few seconds).  Click on the top left drop down and select Show All Components and you'll see everything you can reference including the Forge component you installed.  Click on the component name and you'll see the details on the right.  I would click the top most check box to get everything.

Hope this helps,

Curt

Hi Martin,

You have to publish the component in your environment. 

After that you can reference the actions or widgets of that component.

Daniel, Thank you for replying. Are you saying that the component is actually downloaded to my computer and then when the app is published, that the component gets pushed to the server as well?

Martin when you install a component this component will be avaiable in your server so if you use personal enviroment this component will be there, for each app that you build that use this component will have a copy of it or a share version but don't worry about this, the platform will do this for you. When you add a dependency of a component in your application the 1 Click Publish technology will do the work for you sending all necessary files for your application server (IIS, Jboss or other compatible).