Extend a Static Entity

Extend a Static Entity

I need to extend a Static Entity(which I can't change).

So, naturally, I can create a child static Entity which references the identifier of the primary entity.

The problem, then, would be that the identifier(of the primary entity) is auto-numbered so I can't map the records in the child entity with that of the parent entity.

Please suggest the optimal approach here.[P9.1]

Solution

Hi,

Well for me, the natural would actually consider the static entity the "primary entity" (with auto-number) and make the normal entity without auto-number. That way you can set it's identifier to the values that were generated by the static entity.

It's actually strange reading your post since both the title and first sentence point that way, but the rest have it the other way around.

Note: I would also recommend you to forget the auto-numbers in the static entity when possible. Unless it has many records, it's pretty simple to just write an id in design time and avoids your values to be different between environments.

Regards,
João Rosado

Solution

João Rosado wrote:

Hi,

Well for me, the natural would actually consider the static entity the "primary entity" (with auto-number) and make the normal entity without auto-number. That way you can set it's identifier to the values that were generated by the static entity.

It's actually strange reading your post since both the title and first sentence point that way, but the rest have it the other way around.

Note: I would also recommend you to forget the auto-numbers in the static entity when possible. Unless it has many records, it's pretty simple to just write an id in design time and avoids your values to be different between environments.

Regards,
João Rosado

Thanks for the reply.

"make the normal entity without auto-number." - that's what I had in mind.

"That way you can set it's identifier to the values that were generated by the static entity." - How do I access the identifier values generated by the static entity? 

I can look up the database and map accordingly, but would that approach be safe across different environments?

How do you plan to fill the extension entity? (lets forget for a moment the auto-number issue)

João Rosado wrote:

How do you plan to fill the extension entity? (lets forget for a moment the auto-number issue)

At design time. (It is a static entity after all)

(In effect, the problem is I want to add a new column to my static entity, but I am not allowed to edit that entity)

João Rosado wrote:

Hi,

Regards,
João Rosado

Made it work. Thanks