Open Pop Up from another Pop Up

Open Pop Up from another Pop Up

Hello,

I'm trying to open a Popup from another Popup using the Popup_Editor widget only, and without the second Popup window being "inside" and limited in size by the first Popup. The solution i have now is opening the second Popup using Javascript function window.open(). I really wanted to use only the Popup_editor widget so the Popups have the same look.

Is this possible?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Rafael Valente

Hi Rafael,

It is not possible to open a pop-up within another pop-up without it being confined to the first pop-up's window. However, any user interface that has this arrangement is imho a bad one - a pop-up should already be a last resort, and two pop-ups is a deadly sin :).

Hello Killian!

Thank you for your reply.

I understand what you say. For now, i'll stick to the current solution that is opening the second popup through Javascript function window.open(). This is a pretty old application so it would take a lot of effort to change all the screens right now.

Best regards,

Rafael Valente

Hi anyone find solution for this? I need to open a popup inside another one and my interface is good, it's not "bad one" and this is important for me.

Rafel do you find a solution for this?

Hello Alexandre.

Well, the method i have right now is by opening the second popup through Javascript using the window.open() method. Opening the second popup from the first one using the popup editor widget from Outsystems will limit the frame size of the second one. 

Best regards,

Rafael Valente

Rafael Valente wrote:

Hello Alexandre.

Well, the method i have right now is by opening the second popup through Javascript using the window.open() method. Opening the second popup from the first one using the popup editor widget from Outsystems will limit the frame size of the second one. 

Best regards,

Rafael Valente

Thanks Rafael.

Hello Rafael

can you give me sample Application. 

Right Now, I have face same issue 

Best regards,

Chirag Baroliya

Chirag, I'll reinforce what Kilian said so long ago.

Open a popup is bad enough. Open a popup INSIDE a popup is terribly bad...

Try to change your application interface so that you don't need the popups.

You can always work in the window itself...

I still stand by what I said before, but if you really, really must, you could try to Popup_Editor_Notify() the parent screen, and let the parent screen open the second pop-up. I've never tried to do this, so you may run into additional problems. Also, there won't be any dependencies between the pop-ups, so closing the first won't close the second.

And again, I'll say, don't do this.

I fully agree with Kilian and Eduardo.

But to have another opinion. See this post stackexchange user experience:

In general, I use the following guidelines for using modals:

Is it focused? Every time you throw a modal in front of a user, you're disrupting their workflow. Disruption isn't always bad. Sometimes that's what you want. But you have to realize you're doing that and use it for your benefit. Items within a modal should self-contained. A good rule of thumb is that a modal should be used only when it's content is focused or can be shown on it's own page. Examples of this are Pinterest cards, Trello pins, or Behance posts. Notice that they're all self-contained posts, which can be deep-linked to, but all use modals in-line to focus the user's attention on one specific item. The user doesn't have to remember other items in order to interact with it.

Is it consistent? Without clear guidelines for when and how items like modals can be used, they can lose their effectiveness because they'll be used all over the place. Unfortunately a poor example of this is right here at Stack Exchange. On your user profile, your top-level menu contains links to "Edit • Privileges • Preferences • Flair • Apps", all of which take you other pages. The last item in that list, "My Logins", opens in a modal. This isn't consistent with how modals are used elsewhere to alert the user or help them focus on a task.

Is it overly complex? Using a modal on top of another modal is a big red flag that something broke down in your workflow. If your workflow requires a second modal, you probably have some bigger issues with complexity within your modal. Remember: some of the best use cases for modals are focused, simple content. Squarespace use multiple modals for when you add certain content. And while I love the product, this is the item I hate the most in the product. It's confusing and tedious.

Modals are a great tool. Overuse though can blunt their effectiveness in your workflow though.

https://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/52042/is-it-acceptable-to-open-a-modal-popup-on-top-of-another-modal-popup

This type of development should be avoided. We are a project that has been implemented pop inside the pop and really is difficult to treat.

Well already great explanations here but I would like to add that popup inside a popup in Outsystems is a bad idea if you are using Popup_Editor because you will face so many problems and disruptions. 

You can search old posts of this topic.

Hi Rafael,

You can always resize your popup screen to what you want by putting an expression below into it:

Change both numbers to your need.

Regards,

IB

Here is my 2 cents:

I think there is always an exception to "Popup inside Popup". I use this in my real project and the end user is happy with that. Here the case where it fits:

1. A screen contains many business items (collateral, object, insurance, marketing scheme, etc)

2. The user still wants to see all of them while entering a form in a popup screen.

The first popup shows up by clicking a link (a form to create a record) and inside the popup there is another popup (mainly for look up purpose).

regards,

IB