Is OutSystems a browser-emulated Cordova environment?

Is OutSystems a browser-emulated Cordova environment?

Hi all,

I want to work with the launch navigation plugin (https://github.com/dpa99c/phonegap-launch-navigator#installing) and I used the first simple usage example to test this. 

It gives the error that it doesn't know the launchnavigator action. Even when I put it as $actions.launchnavigator.navigate("London", "UK"), it doesn't recognise the launchnavigator. Also, providing the latitude and longitude instead of the address, doesn't help. 

Could it be that Outsystems Now is a browser-emulated Cordova environment? 

In the installing section in the link provided, they say the plugin won't work in that case.

Thanks,

Artuur

Hi Artuur,

Yes OutSystems Now is a cordova based application. It has several plugins preinstalled, but if you want to use other plugins you have to generate native application in Service Studio. It still will be a cordova based app but you can use almost any cordova plugin.

Mykola Tkachenko wrote:

Hi Artuur,

Yes OutSystems Now is a cordova based application. It has several plugins preinstalled, but if you want to use other plugins you have to generate native application in Service Studio. It still will be a cordova based app but you can use almost any cordova plugin.

Hi Mykola,

I didn't find what I was looking for in the preinstalled plugins, so I will give the native application a go. Hopefully that will solve the issue. Many thanks!

Artuur De Maeyer wrote:

Mykola Tkachenko wrote:

Hi Artuur,

Hi Mykola,

I didn't find what I was looking for in the preinstalled plugins, so I will give the native application a go. Hopefully that will solve the issue. Many thanks!

You can make your own plugins, it's actually quite easy :)

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/10/Extensibility_and_Integration/Mobile_Plugins/Create_a_Plugin_to_Use_Mobile_Capabilities_in_Your_Application

You can even share them in the Forge.

Hi Carlos, 

Easy isn't quite the word I'm looking for, having struggled for a few days now to make this particular plugin work ;).

On a more serious note: A good link you sent me there, thanks. 

I'm now trying to make the simple example work in the example Cordova project of the plugin. I'm passing this url to the plugin key: https://github.com/dpa99c/phonegap-launch-navigator-example/tree/master/SimpleExample

Because there's an XML-file there, that seems ok to me.

Giving this into the Javascript in my public user action to navigate to a location from my current location, still gives me the error 'Can't find variable: launchnavigator'. 

launchnavigator.navigate("London, UK");

From the 4 files provided in the simple example: should I copy Javascript code from any of them in my own Javascript, download them as resources or anything else? 

Looking forward to some advice from you more experienced OutSystems developers, to enable me to share this in the Forge :).

Artuur De Maeyer wrote:

Hi Carlos, 

Easy isn't quite the word I'm looking for, having struggled for a few days now to make this particular plugin work ;).

On a more serious note: A good link you sent me there, thanks. 

I'm now trying to make the simple example work in the example Cordova project of the plugin. I'm passing this url to the plugin key: https://github.com/dpa99c/phonegap-launch-navigator-example/tree/master/SimpleExample

Because there's an XML-file there, that seems ok to me.

Giving this into the Javascript in my public user action to navigate to a location from my current location, still gives me the error 'Can't find variable: launchnavigator'. 

launchnavigator.navigate("London, UK");

From the 4 files provided in the simple example: should I copy Javascript code from any of them in my own Javascript, download them as resources or anything else? 

Looking forward to some advice from you more experienced OutSystems developers, to enable me to share this in the Forge :).

I suggest you reach out to Justin Babel (you can look him up here and send him a message), I think he has some experience with this stuff.

J.Ja