Fetch from other sources

Fetch from other sources

Can someone explain to me how the "fetch from other sources" works and what's the impact that it has on the application performance?

Thanks in advance :)

Ana,

Has many variants can impact an performance in your application.

Can you give some idea about your need to fetch data from other sources?

Do you mean? Webservices? External Database? CSV? 

And many other sources.

:-)

Also, is that fetch synchronously with site use, or a daily load of data into OS for later use?

I am currently building a mobile app using P10.

In my app, I need to create a feed page with posts made by other users. 

One post uses a lot of tables, so to get the data I've made an advanced query.

But then I couldn't get the output list using a client action so the solution I found was to use the fetch from other sources action. I am getting this data from a module of other application and I need to fetch synchronously with site use.

Ana Azevedo wrote:

I am currently building a mobile app using P10.

In my app, I need to create a feed page with posts made by other users. 

One post uses a lot of tables, so to get the data I've made an advanced query.

But then I couldn't get the output list using a client action so the solution I found was to use the fetch from other sources action. I am getting this data from a module of other application and I need to fetch synchronously with site use.

If that application and module you're talking about are OutSystems, then it is not other sources.

You just need a proper structure to return all the data.

I recognize that this isn't the best pratice, but I need to do a count per record and I wasn't able to do it using the aggregate, that's why I've used the advanced query. The only way I found to get the structure with the result of my advanced query on the client side was this one. Is there any other way of doing it?

Ana Azevedo wrote:

Can someone explain to me how the "fetch from other sources" works and what's the impact that it has on the application performance?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Ana,

Fetching data from other sources opens the door for you to create your own data fetching strategy - useful for when an Aggregate alone won't help you get the data you need. 

This way of fetching data, like Aggregates, is asynchronous and runs on the server. The impact it has performance will be noticeable in the sense that your app will take a while to respond to new data, although it will not stop the app from working - in fact, you can even perform more server requests since the app will not be blocked.

Did that help? Let me know if you have any more questions - we're more than glad to help you on your journey. :)

Cheers,

Sérgio