Simple TEXT-ONLY email 

Simple TEXT-ONLY email 

  

I need to create an email that contains ONLY TEXT ... no formatting, no CSS, no JavaScript, etc ... nothing but pure TEXT.


For the life of me, I can't figure out how to create an email in Service Center that has NOTHING in it except what is in a few variables that I pass into the email.


What am I missing here?

Hi Bruce,

E-mails are treated as web screens, so are in essence HTML formatted. Also, they inherit their CSS from the eSpace's CSS, which can be inherited from the Theme. If you want full control over the layout of the e-mail, check the RichMail extension.

João Neves wrote:

Hi Bruce,

Check out here more about emails:

http://www.outsystems.com/help/servicestudio/9.1/index.htm#t=Web_User_Interface%2FAbout_Emails.htm


Joao, thanks anyway but I was already aware of the Email documentation. I've been using the Email

widget for months - BUT - all of them have been fully formatted HTML-based. Now, I need pure text.

The Email doc is not clear on how to do that.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Bruce,

E-mails are treated as web screens, so are in essence HTML formatted. Also, they inherit their CSS from the eSpace's CSS, which can be inherited from the Theme. If you want full control over the layout of the e-mail, check the RichMail extension.

Kilian, I could not find RichMail in the FORGE ... where can I find it?

Also, are you saying that if perhaps I create a new eSpace and do not define any HTML CSS defaults, 

then I can create pure-text based emails in the new eSpace?


Hi Bruce,

RichMail is a system component, you already have it installed. I haven't tested what happens when you, e.g. define an e-mailscreen with only a single expression that you fill with text. But I somehow assume there's still HTML in it, as it's wrapped in a form etc. For pure text I think RichMail is the only way.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Bruce,

RichMail is a system component, you already have it installed. I haven't tested what happens when you, e.g. define an e-mailscreen with only a single expression that you fill with text. But I somehow assume there's still HTML in it, as it's wrapped in a form etc. For pure text I think RichMail is the only way.

Thanks Kilian, I found RichMail (had to add the dependency).

We use smtp.office365.com:587 and it works for normal Emails as I have it configured in the Admin-Email portal.

My action has this flow: RichMailAuthenticate -> RichMailCreate -> RichMailSend and it throws an exception on RichMailSend as follows:

"504 5.7.4 Unrecognized authentication type AUTH PLAIN" (with KIND = PLAIN)

"504 5.7.4 Unrecognized authentication type AUTH LOGIN" (with KIND = LOGIN)

"Unsupported Authentication Type specified" (with KIND = BASIC)


Any clue why it won't authenticate with www.office365.com?

Might it work with Google G-Suite (e.g. Google for Business)?

I'm not sure. You may be able to check here what kind of authentication is needed, or Google some more.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

I'm not sure. You may be able to check here what kind of authentication is needed, or Google some more.

Thanks Kilian, hitting a pretty big roadblock. It appears that while it is VERY common for SMTP servers to require TLS/StartTLS, unfortunately it looks like the RichMailAuthenticate does NOT support TLS.


So, I am really stuck here. RichMail looks PERFECT for sure for actually 90% of my email needs.

BUT, if I can't authenticate via TLS then I am stuck.


Too bad! We don't use TLS, since we relay via a local server that handles the authentication etc.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Too bad! We don't use TLS, since we relay via a local server that handles the authentication etc.

I wish RichEmail went through the Email service that I have setup in the Service Center because it works. 

I think I I'm going to go back and try to create a blank eSpace with an email that has no formatting and see if that works.


Bruce Buttles wrote:

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Bruce,

RichMail is a system component, you already have it installed. I haven't tested what happens when you, e.g. define an e-mailscreen with only a single expression that you fill with text. But I somehow assume there's still HTML in it, as it's wrapped in a form etc. For pure text I think RichMail is the only way.

Thanks Kilian, I found RichMail (had to add the dependency).

We use smtp.office365.com:587 and it works for normal Emails as I have it configured in the Admin-Email portal.

My action has this flow: RichMailAuthenticate -> RichMailCreate -> RichMailSend and it throws an exception on RichMailSend as follows:

"504 5.7.4 Unrecognized authentication type AUTH PLAIN" (with KIND = PLAIN)

"504 5.7.4 Unrecognized authentication type AUTH LOGIN" (with KIND = LOGIN)

"Unsupported Authentication Type specified" (with KIND = BASIC)


Any clue why it won't authenticate with www.office365.com?

Might it work with Google G-Suite (e.g. Google for Business)?

Hi Bruce,

Not sure if you are still interested, but with Google's G Suite it is possible. You will have to set up a mail relay though. See https://support.google.com/a/answer/2956491 for more info on how to do that.

Using mail relay, you can setup SMTP without the need to logon to the SMTP server. I imagine Office 365 having the same kind of functionality.