Full App Scaffolding

Hi,

Scaffolding is awesome! And it would be even better if we could re-use all the already existing functionalities and make it even better!

My suggestion is that we could scaffold ALL the data model at once, creating a really quick prototype version or our apps. This would require some rules of its own, complementing the already existing ones.

How it could work:

1. Have a "Group" property, in each Entity, to have the name of the group they belong to. This property would be editable even in referenced tables (ie: the "user" table could belong to different "Groups" in different eSpaces that reference it)
  2. Each "Group" would become a menu option
  3. All tables in a "Group" would be created as sub-menus
    1. This would require a new "Label" property do be added to Entities, just like it exists for entity attributes, this "Label" would be used as the sub-menu label
  4. Each "Group" would have its own Screen Flow, named after the group
  5. Default list and detail screens would be created for each table (using standard scaffolding rules)
  6. A new role would be created for each "Group", and automatically associated with all the screens in the flow and also menu options
  7. Entities with empty "Group" labels wouldn't be scaffolded.
  8. The process could be launched from and option in the sub-menu of the "Entities" folder, in the Data tab (rule: probably only it there where no screen flows created already)

This would provide us with the ultimate POC, Wireframing, Storyboarding, Mockup tool.

Be free to add ideas to this and if we get enough traction here I'll probaly pitch it in the Ideas section.

Cheers

You should add this to the ideas:https://www.outsystems.com/ideas/

Greetings,

Niels

Just wanted to get some feedback to try and flesh it out before submitting as idea. ;)

Hermínio Mira wrote:

Hi,

Scaffolding is awesome! And it would be even better if we could re-use all the already existing functionalities and make it even better!

My suggestion is that we could scaffold ALL the data model at once, creating a really quick prototype version or our apps. This would require some rules of its own, complementing the already existing ones.

How it could work:

1. Have a "Group" property, in each Entity, to have the name of the group they belong to. This property would be editable even in referenced tables (ie: the "user" table could belong to different "Groups" in different eSpaces that reference it)
  2. Each "Group" would become a menu option
  3. All tables in a "Group" would be created as sub-menus
    1. This would require a new "Label" property do be added to Entities, just like it exists for entity attributes, this "Label" would be used as the sub-menu label
  4. Each "Group" would have its own Screen Flow, named after the group
  5. Default list and detail screens would be created for each table (using standard scaffolding rules)
  6. A new role would be created for each "Group", and automatically associated with all the screens in the flow and also menu options
  7. Entities with empty "Group" labels wouldn't be scaffolded.
  8. The process could be launched from and option in the sub-menu of the "Entities" folder, in the Data tab (rule: probably only it there where no screen flows created already)

This would provide us with the ultimate POC, Wireframing, Storyboarding, Mockup tool.

Be free to add ideas to this and if we get enough traction here I'll probaly pitch it in the Ideas section.

Cheers

I like the idea and that is what the purpose of the idea section. People can like it to push the priority by Liking the idea and add suggestions.