Movie database tutorial

Movie database tutorial

I am a newbie and just completed the Movie assignment. I had to redo three times from scratch due to errors that must have been made by me along the way. The third time I was more careful and the exercise did help in making me more familiar with the layout. For the final render it showed the dependences errors and a refresh seemed to work. However, the web app still only showed movies and people - no options for rating the movies etc.

I deleted my app and uploaded the app from the resources. It had the ratings but did not allow any edits.

What am I doing wrong ??. Also - what is the need for the core module and the UI module ?. Why not just the one module ??.

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure I understand your first question. Are you saying that you've implemented options that are not visible when you publish and run the application?

As for your second question, separating the data definition module from the UI module is considered a good practice and helps keep your code better organized. It was probably also done like this to teach you how to reference different modules and consume their public elements.

Aurelio Santos wrote:

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure I understand your first question. Are you saying that you've implemented options that are not visible when you publish and run the application?

As for your second question, separating the data definition module from the UI module is considered a good practice and helps keep your code better organized. It was probably also done like this to teach you how to reference different modules and consume their public elements.

My problem was that I completed the movie database tutorial and after publishing it the app did not work as it should have. The final movie exercise included attributes that allow reviews to be posted but they were not available. Can anyone confirm that exercise module is without flaws - therefore I have misunderstood part of the tutorial ?. Also I decided to install the completed app supplied with the resources and that did not accept edits and just hung. 

Could you share your OML so I can take a look?

Aurelio Santos wrote:

I erased it due to my frustration and only loaded the resource file. I will give it one more go and advise. Thanks

Dave Duncan wrote:

Aurelio Santos wrote:

I erased it due to my frustration and only loaded the resource file. I will give it one more go and advise. Thanks

Redone the tutorial from scratch again. Getting more familiar each time but still monkey see - monkey do at the moment !. Starts to make a little more sense but yet again after taking as much care as I could, when I publish the completed module I only get the movies and people options. No ratings options.  

Hi,

What course exactly are you following? Is it this one? If so, you probably didn't follow all of the exercises. Your application only has the two basic "Movies" and "People" functionalities, without any of the other functionalities that are added along the course.

Hi Aurelio. Yes - that is the course I was doing. Maybe I sent the wrong oml files but the times of creation agreed with my last publishing. I don't think I missed anything as I started with the construction of the core module (modelling data), added the UI module (Widgets 1) and finished with adding the section on modelling data relationships. Thanks for your feedback and I will check the OML files again.

Here are the files for sure. I think the problem is that I assumed there would be additional user options but this may not be the case. The published app seemed much the same as after completing the widgets 1 module. I think - as you said - I have not completed further modules that make the difference. I will continue and see how it goes.

Thanks again for your help.